What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who bought the three Jabiru FW Fwd Kits?

txaviator

Well Known Member
I was speaking to Pete yesterday, at Jabiru USA. I naturally had a thousand questions for him, and then I asked: "should I buy a firewall forward kit from Jabiru, how many others have done so for the RV-12"? He said there were three other builders who have already purchased the FW forward kits from him, in the short time they have been available. Are any of you three here on the forums?

I like the Rotax, don't get me wrong! But since I am wanting to go the EAB route anyway, the Jabiru is looking very attractive. I REALLY like the looks of the longer cowling, the positive things I read about their durability, extensive proven use in other planes, more voltage (ie: I can use a second display without worry), lower price point, etc.

I've also spoken to noted RV expert Jay Pratt about the option, and he has nothing but praise for the setup. Anyone else considering the Jabiru, or currently installing one?

UL Power 260iS RV12

We have a UL Powered 107 HP flying RV.
We like the additional power available and low weight.
We are very happy with the power and performance.
UL is in the process of putting g a Firewall Forward package together.

Know when it'll be available for purchase?

And an estimated price point?

Jabiru 3300

I am planning to use the 3300. Emp, wings, and fuss done. Working on the finish kit and have welded up the engine mount. Plan to build 13.75x14x36 inch fuel tank, 29 gal. that I will weld from 5052-.050. Will use RV-10 battery holder aft of baggage area. Any questions feel free to email me.

Sonerai modified 125 Lyc. 1977
RV-4 2007 680 hobbs
RV-12 #120293

jab

have you seen the notification about jab engines piston circlips
another major fault without a ad being issued apparrently jabaru think that a circlip coming out of the piston warrents a ad being issued

Here is current pricing for UL Power:

UL260iS is $17,000
FWF Kit is $4,500
Leatime for each: 6 weeks

I am planning to use the 3300. Emp, wings, and fuss done. Working on the finish kit and have welded up the engine mount. Plan to build 13.75x14x36 inch fuel tank, 29 gal. that I will weld from 5052-.050. Will use RV-10 battery holder aft of baggage area. Any questions feel free to email me.

RV-4 2007 680 hobbs
RV-12 #120293

How are you attaching the mount to the firewall? Are your reinforcing the firewall?

Engine mount reinforcement

Ulpower,
I placed 1/8x4" 6061t3 flat across the back of the firewall butted up to the inside of the longerons edges, under the shelf that attaches to the bottom of the upper engine mounts. Then cut 2" strips and hard riveted this (scab) to the longeron and the plate as a splice. I hard riveted the upper engine mounts thru the mount, shelf and plate. I had drilled a few matching holes in the plate to correspond with the cooling fan holes but not all as to weaken the strong back plate. I didn't drill all the wiring holes as I am going to do my own wiring as I did on our RV-4. I don't think the bottom mounts need reinforcing with the support of the nose gear. Talked with Pete at Jabiru USA and he gave his blessing after seeing the pictures I send of this mod.

Ted Farmin CFI land, sea, glider, private Helo
Sonerai 2 modified 125 Lyc. Plans built 1977
RV-4 2007 680 hobbs
12 120293

RV Battery

Ted
I added RV10 Battery Ribs to my 12

Take a look at this link for the RV10 parts I used.
I will also use a jab or a UL engine.

A_05_02_05.jpg

http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/al_05_01.htm
http://www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/al_05_02.htm

RV-4 2007 680 hobbs
RV-12 #120293

Last edited:
Battery mount

Joe Dallas, Thanks for the parts list and pictures. Oren had sent pictures but not the parts list, a great help.
Thank you
ted

Battery in Back

Ted
Oren had to cut off the front of the bottom flange to install in his 12 as installing the rivets with the servo in place would be difficult.

The extension on the bottom flange will help transfer more moment to the Baggage Bulkhead on a hard landing and if possible should be left on.
Good Luck

Note: Oren said he added small angles to the sides

Joe Dallas, Thanks for the parts list and pictures. Oren had sent pictures but not the parts list, a great help.
Thank you
ted

Last edited:
Back