What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview News

NASA515

Well Known Member
Dynon Skyview Update News

I attended a class at Dynon yesterday taught by Kirk Kleinholz. It was excellent and I thought I would share some of the stuff I learned.

First - my experience with Dynon has been beyond excellent. Before I even settled on the RV-12 or the Skyview, I spent a lot of time on the phone with one of their people. I had downloaded and read both the D-180 and Skyview manuals, and had lots of questions. They made me feel like I was their best customer.

Playing with their simulators for several hours was terrific - worth weeks of studying the manuals.

Some of the most interesting things, besides the hands-on training with their simulators, was the peek into the future of Skyview. It's very impressive how this company continually updates their product, and on a short cycle too.

Skyview version 3.3 is about to be updated again - the new version will be 4.0. It will be released right after Oshkosh is over (so as to not create possible problems for users who will be flying there.)

New features coming beyond Ver 4, but still in the reasonably near-term include:

- Nav charts (Sectionals, etc)
- Airport / taxi disgrams
- Airspeed management
- V Nav (Vertical navigation capabilities)
- Camera inputs (from, for example, an on-board camera that could provide a taxi aid for tail-draggers.
-Video inputs - for example allowing XM weather radar overlays on the map screen.

These are exciting new features!

Some possibles under consideration include:

- Offsets (allowing an offset from say a Victor Airway)
- Data Recording and Dump - this capability is available now, but the readout and analysis of the data stream is only possible by Dynon and is used primarily in accident investigations. Making this user accessible would be a valuable tool for things like flight testing and engine monitoring.

Dynon is also going to shortly release a collision avoidance receiver similar to Zaon that would totally integrate with Skyview. This would extend collision avoidance capabilities to areas outside the current transponder derived info provided mainly in high density ATC traffic areas.

Some other tidbits:

My Skyview arrived with a Test Harness. I have been able to find out nothing about this. I had hoped it might be usable to hookup to a PC and drive the SV using simulator software (similar to what they use in their classroom.) Alas not - it's mostly for test bench use and, for the end user, can allow the ADAHRS to talk to SV as the builder tries to find an optimal location for the ADAHRS - this is of no applicability to the RV-12.

Dynon recommends:

- Track up - for X-C flights
- North-up - for airport and ATC environments (where headings can be expected from ATC or referenced by other pilots.)

- Operating the Autopilot in SYNCH mode for VFR fliers - to prevent, for example, the airplane surprising the pilot by turning to a previously designated fix or waypoint when engaging, when what is expected is, for example, to maintain the current heading. Using this mode basically allows the pilot to stabilize the airplane - if, amongst other things, he inadvertently encounters IFR conditions.

The SV is not TSO certified, and hence, is not qualified for IFR flying (by itself.) However, Dynon feels it offers full IFR accuracy. Kirk suggested that, in an emergency - e.g. caught VFR on-top, or just caught in IFR conditions, by using SYNVIS, it is possible to fly the airplane to a safe landing by ignoring the stick and controlling the airplane by using the SV Autopilot Altitude and Heading knobs, along with the Synthetic Vision. A great safety feature for emergencies. (Be sure to declare the Emergency or file the NASA Safety Report!)

Do not File /U unless you and the airplane are IFR capable. Just tell the controller you have a non-IFR GPS and can go direct.

The Flight Path Projection marker is valuable for several things:

- Understanding the elevation of high terrain ahead.
- Understanding, in event of engine failure, exactly where the airplane is going to go, in the current flight condition, and the ability to glide to a most favorable landing area.
- As an aid in determining the touchdown point on a runway - e.g. hitting the "spots" at Oshkosh, or understanding if you are heading for a long landing.

Dynon has taken on the "big gorilla" - Garmin - and has been quite successful doing it. Garmin has delivered about 8000 glass cockpits - Dynon around 7000. Their people are knowledgeable and energized. I asked about whether they would certify some of their products to go after the T/C market. They said probably not - it's not "their style." Specifically, to get a TSO, they would need to freeze their configuration up to three years prior to the anticipated certification date to allow appropriate testing etc. Three years, in today's fast-moving electronic toy environment is - is forever. As can be seen from the update release history, they are on a very fast track. A certified system would be, like so much of todays electronics world, be ancient in that time span.

All in all - a great session - and glad that Vans went with Dynon and glad I'm a Dynon customer.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Dynon Skyview Update News

Do not File /U unless you and the airplane are IFR capable. Just tell the controller you have a non-IFR GPS and can go direct.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Thanks for the info, but I'm confused by this statement. Been a while since filing other than /G, but isn't /U still mode C?

Perhaps a typo? Your list of features beginning with "Nav Charts" says that is AFTER 4.0. Did you mean to be included in 4.0? If not, what is to be included in 4.0?

You mention traffic but what about a Dynon ADSB receiver that would also supply weather?

I CANNOT figure out how to easily depict or track a VOR airway or even a VOR radial in the Skyview using only the GPS that the RV-12 comes with (i.e. no VOR receiver. So it would be a "simulated" Victor airway or radial I guess...) Did anyone ask about that? Sure you can set up a flight plan involving VORs, but what if you hear "track inbound on the ABC 70 degree radial" ?

Hmmm, hope this posting was a good idea......

Don't file IFR slash codes if you're not IFR equipped.

I don't know what's included in 4.0

The nav charts per my understanding would be sectionals (like you can get on SkyVector) and would enable you to track a Victor Airway on the map display. And come AFTER 4.0.

No answer to the ADS-B receiver, Bill - just what I deciphered from my pages of notes.

Bob Bogash
N737G

I am signed up for the Oshkosh class on Saturday, I sure hope to learn a lot from the class. Just looking at a skyview display makes me have questions!

We are just starting to use our Skyview, in fact, I did the first taxi testing on the Eagle's Nest One RV-12 today. I have been using Dynon for over five years (D10A) in my RV-9A and was a little surprised not to find checklists. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but it is a feature I love about the the 10A EFIS. Am I missing something, or is it gone? Is it scheduled for a later revision? Obviously, this is a wonderful piece of equipment, but I don't understand missing such a great software-only item.

Bob

I (dutifully) registered my Units with Dynon when I received them and have since received emails, newsletters, and Update notifications. That's how I got the notice of the factory classes. It was timed for the Arlington Airshow but a lot of people in my class came just for the class and not for the show. They came from all over - Wash, B.C., Ore, and Calif so they didn't just send notices to the locals. And many did not have RV-12s.

They also provided a nice lunch and a factory tour. I also got printed copies of the new 3.3 Manuals - a big plus since they are hundreds of pages and I have been wearing out my printer with the updates. (Yes, a new print job for 4.0) First Class!

I assume() that everyone was signed up with Dynon and also for their Forums that parallel this one. No?

Bob Bogash
N737G

The only difference appears to be that we at Oshkosh have to pay for it, actually to pay for the hotel room they are having it in.

Of course, you are paying for their travel expenses including hotel etc, Don, - here they are on their home turf. I'm lucky - they are (sort of) local to me (gas and ferry fares still set me back about $50.)

Playing with the buttons on the simulator was worth it - I really wore them out. Hope you do the same - you will learn a lot just doing that Don. Have a good trip.

Bob

I played with one at a booth last year at Osh, but all that did was confirm to me that I needed a LOT of instruction, hands on type preferable. I feel really fortunate that I can attend their presentation this year. I don't feel too bad, I see people on the Dynon Skyview forum still confused after hundreds of hours behind one.

Dynon ADS-B for Skyview at Oshkosh

This was posted in Avweb news:
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/2263-full.html#206999

Dynon, whose Skyview system has become a go-to for LSAs and experimentals, announced its own box for that popular hardware, the $995 SV-ADSB-470 UAT Band Traffic and Weather Receiver. Like FreeFlight's XPLORER, this is a remote-mount module that can provide both traffic and FIS-B weather for display on the Skyview screens. It's also powered from the ship's bus and has an externally mounted antenna.

Dynon already has ADS-B Out covered with its SV-XPNDR-261 Mode-S transponder module, another remote box that's controlled from the Skyview screens. With the Skyview displays, Dyon's Robert Hamilton says owners will get a complete traffic picture wherever ADS-B services are available, which is most of the continental U.S. If you're wondering what's driving this frenzy of ADS-B product intros, Hamilton says that his customers simply want weather data without having to pay for it. "In-flight weather on SkyView…is the number one feature asked for by our customers, who want fully integrated real-time data that is subscription-free."

Last edited:
Skyview 4.0

I am still in the middle of wiring retrofit and have barely opened the Skyview box. Can someone who has been there tell me if I will be able to use version 4.0 or do I have to use the version certified by VANs?

You will always use the latest version from dynon. In fact, dynon will always ship units with the then-latest version to vans. Just get used to updating your dynon every month with FAA and obstacle data plus operating system updates as they occur. You will LIKE the new features!

Dynon has said that their number 1 development priority at this point is the export of flight and engine data logging (in an easily decipherable form) to a memory stick via the Skyview USB. So we should see that within the next couple of releases after 4.0 comes out in August 2012.

Back