What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Little green pieces of plastic

Boomerang

I am nearing the final stages of my build and had just installed the tunnel cover under the dash panel. I had placed a couple of old pieces of carpeting on the floor on both the left and right sides under the panel. As I was standing on the left side of the fuse picking up some tools that I had laid on the left piece of carpet, I noticed a very small piece of something green laying on the carpet. I picked it up and was about to throw it in the trash can when I decided to take a closer look as to what it was. About 1/2" long and 1/8" wide and green plastic. Just about that time I saw another piece of the same thing laying on the floor close to the pilots control stick. It then dawned on to me that these green plastic pieces had to come from somewhere. Looked at the rocker switches on the panel and wouldn't you know a couple of the rocker switches were missing their green monitor light lenses. Placed one of the lenses back into the nav/strobe switch, flipped the switch and the lense flew right out into my hand. Got some super glue and glued both lenses back into the nav/strobe and avionics rocker switches. Don't know how many of the other rocker switchs will eventually lose their lenses but let it be known they will come out on their own. Just curious, anyone else had this problem?

Wow! This is the first time I have heard about that. I think a call to Stein or Vans would be in order.

You about ready to fly that thing Alan? :D ;)

Larry, Still have a lot of odds and ends to do such as tensioning the front wheel, bleeding the brakes, figuring out what kind of insulation to use around the canopy, etc. Do I have the plane certified before painting or after. Lots of decisions to make.

I'll probably make a call to Van's about the green lenses. Who knows how many of the other ones will pop out when you flip the switches.

Larry, Still have a lot of odds and ends to do such as tensioning the front wheel, bleeding the brakes, figuring out what kind of insulation to use around the canopy, etc. Do I have the plane certified before painting or after. Lots of decisions to make.

See if it'll fly first.:D:D:D:D

Probably not the best idea.:D

Marshall Alexander

It then dawned on to me that these green plastic pieces had to come from somewhere. Looked at the rocker switches on the panel and wouldn't you know a couple of the rocker switches were missing their green monitor light lenses. Placed one of the lenses back into the nav/strobe switch, flipped the switch and the lense flew right out into my hand. Got some super glue and glued both lenses back into the nav/strobe and avionics rocker switches. Don't know how many of the other rocker switchs will eventually lose their lenses but let it be known they will come out on their own. Just curious, anyone else had this problem?

This problem hasn't been seen on any of the switches with the factory prototypes or in the process of manufacturing the switch panels (not done by Stein)

The Otto Switch was chosen because it is a quality switch made in America

Otto Switch has been contacted in response to this vansairforce.net posting

If anyone else encounters this problem, it can be solved by gluing the green plastic lense back in place with a very small amount of Cyanoacrilate (super) glue. (be careful not to get glue inside the switch). If you need new lenses please contact Otto Switch rep Rocky Scalise [[email protected]]

Just a note to mention that I lost the little green plastic window from the Master Switch today. I had been cycled some 25 times. Waiting for others to drop.

John s/n 317

Wonderful! I've just spent the last few evenings trawling the internet for rocker switches for our RV-12 (UK built with SkyView non-standard panel). Just before I email Van's asking where they get their '12 switches from (I'd asked Stein if they had them) a thread appears with perfect timing!

Better still, there's a UK supplier! :)

Please share the suppliers name. I need some switches too.
What is the part number for the small e.g. Ignition switch and the wider switches?

Thanks, Joeri (Netherlands).

They are Otto K2 switches.

More info here from the Otto website:

http://www.ottoexcellence.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=49

More info there on a pdf download.

As I mentioned, I've been trawling the internet looking at switches. I even found the company that actually makes the Aveo switches (much cheaper but without aviation legends). The Aveo ones look quite trick but are about a foot tall - good for uncoordinated fingers, I suppose.

Two of mine came out

during the building process; fortunately I found both and glued tht\em back in with lioquid (not tube stuff) plastic model glue. I think super gluee would be too brittle and lilely to come loose due to vibration.

Wayne 143WM-- 15 hours and counting

Comment from the orginator

Was suprised to see my thread appear again after nine months. Anyway, as I stated back in March, I used superglue (very small amount) on the two "little green pieces of plastic" which had fallen out. So far - so good. Have not had any lenses pop out of any of the other switches.

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone.

Old thread, but this just happened to me. Lost the lens from the nav/landing light switch. Haven't found it yet although it should be somewhere in the cockpit.

Back