What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal placement

Soarandtow

I'm 5'9" and just abut to plumb the brake lines wanted to konw if I should start out with the peddles full aft to give plenty of line slack if that's where the end up for my fit
Rv9

Don't Over Think

Set the pedals where you are comfortable with your heels on the floor and then adjust the brakes so that they aren't dragging but that you have full actuation when needed. You'll be surprised at how little brake pedal motion you'll need with a well bled system. There isn't much fluid volume - at least when compared to a car.

I'm the same height as you and mine ended up further forward than I had expected. I would suggest at least three sets of holes for adjustment. Until you get the seats and cushions in, it is very hard to tell where you will be most comfortable with them.

I also am about your height. Set the rudder petals as far forward as the fabricated link would accommodate. Works very well. I too drilled three sets of holes to provide for adjustment. Turns out one set was to far forward for the final installation. Once installed relocating will be difficult

Sorta depends on your torso/leg proportions and how thick your seat/back cushions. Definitely drill holes as far forward as possible with a second set 2" back. The pedals aren't "adjustable" on the fly. You need different cable links as well.

Consider also installing some rudder bar extensions or lifts, or install the brake pedals with the angles on the aft face. You really need to displace the pedal forward of the bars or you'll be very likely to drag brakes. It's one of the few bad Van's designs.

John Siebold

I'm 6ft 1/2in tall with a 32" inseam and my pedals are all the way forward. And I really wish I had more legroom. RV's are a tad short on legroom for many guys. I'd be shocked if you didn't end up with the pedals quite a ways forward, if not all the way.
As stated above, it's very difficult to tell where you want them w/o having the seat cushions and interior installed.

Back