What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arduino compatible controller (new thread)

Vern,

Can you provide links so the hardware needed for the 3" M5 stuff?

Matt

I am currently finalizing documentation, so give me some more time. In the meantime, you can buy an M5Stack (basic black is what you want) from your favorite online supplier for evaluation.

V

News flash **** Victoria, BC ****, March 2, 2021. Flight testing complete, no issues found. There were no bugs found, except for the Bugs that are supposed to be there... heading, altitude, airspeed, etc.

V

Sorry that the pic is sideways.

Attachments

• 356823E2-F19C-48E6-B1B9-4EAF49A16C74.jpg
    356823E2-F19C-48E6-B1B9-4EAF49A16C74.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 181
Here are some shots of the 3" instrument (in a prototype case) showing some of the different screens that we've been working on. It's been fun working on this project with Vern, I look forward to getting some of these in the air and into other people's hands so they can experiment too!

Attachments

• IMG_20210108_203800.sm.jpg
    IMG_20210108_203800.sm.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20210108_203807.sm.jpg
    IMG_20210108_203807.sm.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20210108_203816.sm.jpg
    IMG_20210108_203816.sm.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20210108_203822.sm.jpg
    IMG_20210108_203822.sm.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 98
If you flipped the compass display 90 degrees you might have room for a turn-rate indicator too.

Dave

One day, the heading indicator will migrate to a full HSI, which can include a turn rate indicator. Right now, there is a turn rate indicator on the attitude display.

The beauty of open-source is that we expect other developers to get creative. Right now, my next step is to put up a set of engine gauges. They were developed some time ago, but adding the menu system overlays to allow customization of the parameters takes some time.

I have had some requests for a fully-designed 'back seat' panel for the RV-8. This is pretty simple. It would consist of 3 or 4 displays on a removable panel attached to the seat back support. You would just need a 12V source (cigar lighter works) to power the units which would get data over WiFi. I am making some cardboard templates for this prior to cutting sheet metal. I'll publish the design once complete.

Previously, I have used split PVC pipe to make clips to snap on the instruments individually, and it's possible to do the same for a whole panel. I may use commercially available metal clips from the marine store.

Why removable? Not all back-seat passengers want a bunch of instruments in front of their nose, or you've packed a bunch of bags there that would interfere. It is also only a 30-second install.

I just need to catch up on my sleep for a week or two... last night was the first night in over a year that I got a more than 7 hours of ZZ-time.

Rob and I are still working out the details on how to unleash these devices to the world. Watch this space.

Last edited:
Completed flight tests, removed the M5 version and replaced it with the 2” (2.4”) bright screen device. A bunch of these should be out in the wild soon. Will be including the OnSpeed AOA display.

showmy.php

More:

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojentry&proj=7e7RruDaE&e=7ldpYAs0q&listcat=&cat=Avionics

Edit: forgot to mention: supports Dynon SkyView, Garmin G3, Garmin G5, plus the OnSpeed ADAHRS devices as data sources.

Last edited:
I continue to be impressed. 2 covid vaccines under my belt now and my surgery is back on for next week so hopefully soon after seeing the great results I'll be back to buying a plane, just so that I can install my OnSpeed and your displays !!:D:D

Good luck with your back surgery Carlos! If you're coming to OSH, I'd be happy to take you for a ride in my RV-10 and show you both Onspeed and Vern's display. Well, Vern's original M5 display for now. Can't wait for the new ones to be out.

Vern, please put me on the list for two of those new displays. Actually make that 3 to include our Onspeed flight test RV-4 too.

Lenny

Very nice Vern, hope you have success with these.

I am surprised that the configurable instrument thing has never taken off. Friends tried to market something very similar 20 or so years ago with limited success.

Good luck with your back surgery Carlos! If you're coming to OSH, I'd be happy to take you for a ride in my RV-10 and show you both Onspeed and Vern's display.

Lenny

Thanks Lenny. OSH is one of my goals but the first one is to get healthy then next buy a plane. Have a really nice one in talks but have to wait until after the surgery.

Very nice Vern, hope you have success with these.

I am surprised that the configurable instrument thing has never taken off. Friends tried to market something very similar 20 or so years ago with limited success.

3D printing, modern electronics, display technology, and pcb assembly services have finally converged to make it economical.

Writing the libraries was the most difficult part (and I ain't done yet...).

Cheers,
VV

GRT?

Edit: forgot to mention: supports Dynon SkyView, Garmin G3, Garmin G5, plus the OnSpeed ADAHRS devices as data sources.
Just curious about GRT - I think I sent them a link to the https://www.flyonspeed.org website a while back and encouraged them to talk to you, but I have not heard anything back. Are you guys talking to them? If not, perhaps it's time for another little nudge.

Their system is very flexible so I'm sure you could work it out quickly by exchanging a few emails. I'd love to have an OnSpeed display on my glareshield - I've reserved a spot for it. :)

Good luck with your back surgery Carlos! If you're coming to OSH, I'd be happy to take you for a ride in my RV-10 and show you both Onspeed and Vern's display. Well, Vern's original M5 display for now. Can't wait for the new ones to be out.

Vern, please put me on the list for two of those new displays. Actually make that 3 to include our Onspeed flight test RV-4 too.

Lenny

I will contact you offline and get this happening. There is a dimensioned drawing in the document here: http://www.huvver.tech/wp-content/uploads/huVVer-AVI-V1.pdf (will fit into standard instrument holes). I bent up a piece of aluminum to mount to my glareshield, painted it black and it works like a charm (seen in the photos). A 3D printed base could have been made, but I was in a hurry.

The connector pinouts are different than the M5Stack version, but you can pull the pins out of the existing shell and push them into the new shell in the required positions. I recommend painting the new connector shells black as well, to prevent reflections in the windscreen. I am going to see if I can source black ones commercially. I am hoping no shroud or hood is required because of the brightness of the new screen.

Cheers,
VV

Last edited:
Just curious about GRT - I think I sent them a link to the https://www.flyonspeed.org website a while back and encouraged them to talk to you, but I have not heard anything back. Are you guys talking to them? If not, perhaps it's time for another little nudge.

Their system is very flexible so I'm sure you could work it out quickly by exchanging a few emails. I'd love to have an OnSpeed display on my glareshield - I've reserved a spot for it. :)

I worked with GRT about 15 years ago with my original AOA display module. After that, no contact. I'd be happy to support them again. I already support Dynon/AFS and Garmin (G3X &G5) streams (in fact, I was the editor of their streaming specs back in the day). If GRT can emulate one of those (and they are virtually the same), that would be great, otherwise I can code up a new extraction routine.

And before I forget, one of the open-source community is working on the CAN coding to support even more data sources.

VV

Last edited:
Mickey,

We haven't heard from GRT yet. Our OnSpeed box won't be relying on Efis data anymore. We have our own internal IMU and sensor fusion algorithm to calculate an attitude solution, which we then use to calibrate the pressure based AOA to within a 1/4 degree accuracy. We are also displaying attitude, IAS and pressure altitude on Vern's display (M5 version). You can see a video of it here.

https://www.flyonspeed.org/post/the-energy-display-gets-a-hoodie

You can get AOA from the Efis directly and display it on Vern's screen, but you won't get OnSpeed tones that way. That does require the GRT protocol.

Would you be able to record a sample data stream for us for testing? I'd be happy to implement it if we get the documentation for the protocol.

Lenny

GRT

Thanks Gents. I've sent a mail to GRT to see if they already have a datastream that will work. Hopefully they will just get in touch with you.

For those who are curious, here is a video of a glareshield mounted huVVer-AVI-2 in my Harmon Rocket.

The video was made to establish how the device compared to my SkyView screen with direct sunlight. It easily matches or exceeds the SkyView legibility, plus it does not have a strong polarizer, so if you use Polaroid sunglasses, this makes a difference.

http://huvver.tech/downloads/huVVer-AVI-2_Sunlight.mp4

Turn off the audio, it's just engine noise.

VV

Looks so good. Sign me up! But I’m still stuck on Dynon D-series. So I’ll have to just hook it to fly onspeed

Yours,
Ben

I am putting an OnSpeed ADAHRS in my new build, plus 6 panel mounted displays and one on the glare shield. Rather than drive the displays from my SkyView, I will use the OnSpeed box and have a totally redundant air-data display system.

Actually, I can select between the two, but as Lenny said, only the OnSpeed ADAHRS box will give the proper energy cues on the display or audio system.

The energy display will be one of the standard instrument pages, but needs to be driven by an OnSpeed box. Otherwise, just use the standard AOA display page.

Roll out of these displays will occur within a few weeks. I have everything organized to have a bunch of units available.

Here's the final version of the 3" instrument. The 2" will use the same buttons. The screen size is the same between the two (2.4" diagonal).

I like the retro 90's Walkman look to the buttons.

In the mid 90's I was in Tokyo for a Reception with the Lord Mayor. My host was Jun Nakai, one of the developers of the Sony Walkman and the only person I ever met who owned a parking spot and a car in Tokyo. He was treated like royalty by everyone he met, and he was my driver!

After visiting Akihabara (Electric City), I asked him why there were hundreds of different models of Sony Walkmans for sale in Japan, while in North America, we had only a few.

His answer: They build hundreds of models and put them up for sale in Akihabara. The best sellers they export to the rest of the world. That's how engineers do marketing!

huVVer-AVI-3-Production.jpgI

I am putting an OnSpeed ADAHRS in my new build, plus 6 panel mounted displays and one on the glare shield. Rather than drive the displays from my SkyView, I will use the OnSpeed box and have a totally redundant air-data display system.

Bingo !! Exactly what I want to have: a modern, dependable, and independent OnSpeed air-data system on your displays, without the extreme expense of having to upgrade a round gauge Cessna 172 with an STC $$ sucking SkyView or Garmin glass upgrade. Perfect !

Fantastic work Vern. What an achievement.

Now to convince someone to start selling the onspeed box as assembled!

Heaps of bits are backordered on Mouser 🥲

Fantastic work Vern. What an achievement.

Now to convince someone to start selling the onspeed box as assembled

I am playing Matchmaker on that. I can't speak for the parties involved but it's a natural outcome of this project to have a one-stop shop for OnSpeed and the huVVer devices that display the OnSpeed data.

VV

Update: I just posted my Release 2.0 (production) of the libraries, now available for download http://www.huvver.tech/huvver-avi/

None of the instrument displays have changed, but I added Over-The-Air (OTA) updates so that the units can be updated using WiFi. The menu system also changed to accommodate this.

Release 1.01 is still valid, and both version are available on my site. Both have been extensively flight tested on production versions of the huVVer-AVI devices, but the libraries also support the M5Stack display as well.

Here is a video http://huvver.tech/downloads/huVVer-AVI-2_Sunlight.mp4

Cheers, Vern

... None of the instrument displays have changed, but I added Over-The-Air (OTA) updates so that the units can be updated using WiFi. ...
Very cool feature. This is what I'd like to see with my EFIS - soon as it connects to my wifi, it uploads the files to Savvy. And grabs the updated Jeppesen data. And checks for bug fixes. Obviously in a secure way. Great work Vern, looking forward to the outcome of your "matchmaking" efforts. :)

One more update on the status of my open-source huVVer-AVI displays;

My open-source partner (MakerPlane.org) has begun fulfilling orders for the displays! This milestone marks the end of the first chapter for this project, and I am taking a summer break to focus on cruising the Gulf Islands and fundraising for a tech startup I have been involved with for the last seven years.

Careful readers will notice that I have focused on just flight instruments for the initial release. A fall release will support engine instruments. Most of the coding has been done, but wrapping the menu system around the instrument pages needs to be done. Straightforward, but testing takes time.

I will be posting a six-pack configuration of the instruments for my new panel sometime this summer. This will include six displays in the footprint of a SkyView HDX, with a removable panel.

panel-draft.png

showmy.php

Last edited:
Instrument Subpanel

This panel will fit in the cutout of a Dynon SkyView. It will be a development platform for more instrument work.

2FB939AE-C198-4649-9C76-1C166D812D2C.jpg

And here’s the OnSpeed energy display:

F29D371B-F2F4-4EFE-B7E3-915921CE7F1A.jpg

The blanks will be for the engine gauges that I will coding later this summer.

Cheers, Vern

Tandem RV backseat panel

After a couple of years in development, I have installed a complete backseat panel in my Rocket.

This panel uses three of my huVVer-AVI displays, a shop-made panel, three nutplates and a 12V power connection. Data is streamed wirelessly from a SkyView. Garmin Also supported with a wired connection.

OnSpeed energy display on front glareshield. SkyView providing wireless data:

BackPanel.jpg

Backseat pilot view:

AC14F6D5-B3F2-4734-9ABF-8EF2DC3CF266.jpg

Power plug conveniently located:

IMG_1474.jpg

Reverse side of panel... just need power and ground.

25820213-8647-4D50-91B6-FA361D5DFFB8.jpg

Attached with nutplates. Velcro fuzzy for vibration isolation... just in case:

IMG_1470.jpg

We (Rob Prior and I) will be shooting some in-flight video. Plan is to post them by Oshkosh, although travel restrictions in Canada prevent us from attending in person.

VV

Last edited:
After a couple of years in development, I have installed a complete backseat panel in my Rocket.

This panel uses three of my huVVer-AVI displays, a shop-made panel, three nutplates and a 12V power connection. Data is stream wirelessly from a SkyView. Garmin Also supported with a wired connection.
VV

Very nice !! I miss the Experimental world but I'll be back eventually. :(

At least I know I can still use my OnSpeed and your display on my current substitute plane. :D

I have been asked how to get wireless data transmission using a Garmin G3X or G5 system. There is a straightforward way, as follows:

Using the default WiFi settings of the huVVer-AVI devices, the glareshield unit can be wired to a serial port on the G3X, then configured as a WiFi Transmitter. The backseat units are then configured as WiFi Receivers and only power and ground connections are required for them.

The serial data received from the G3X on the glareshield unit is sent to the back seat units wirelessly. et Viola!

As it turns out, this method also works for Dynon SkyView systems that don't have a WiFi dongle, saving you $35 per SkyView.

VV

Vern hasn't posted with an update yet so i'll jump in... The huVVer AVI instruments (2.25" and 3.125") are now live for sale on the Makerplane.org site:

http://store.makerplane.org/huvver-avi-aircraft-instrument/

Looking at your website right now but there aren't any pictures of the rear. I'm trying to decide between the 3" and the 2" but not having a picture of the back I'm not sure if the 2" fits flush or the wire coming out of the side goes behind the cutout I want to do. Not sure if I'm explaining myself, probable not.

Could you post some pictures of the rear and the sides? I'm going to use it with my OnSpeed box. Thanks.

Ok these pictures of the rear might help. Are these 2" displays installed on top of the panel so they look like how a G5 is installed? What size are the holes in this picture?

It might be the picture angle but the rear ones look bigger than the display in front. I'm looking for that look in the back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.35.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.35.55 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.36.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.36.08 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.42.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 7.42.01 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 116
When in doubt, read the manual! :) Dimension drawings on page 8 http://www.huvver.tech/wp-content/uploads/huVVer-AVI-V2C.pdf

Both the 2 and 3 inch versions are identical except for the size of the instrument hole they mount in. The -2 mounts from the front (fascia mount). And -3 mounts from the back (flush mount). In this case, the panel ‘front’ is the side with all of the switches, the ‘back’ is where all of wires are and the smoke hides. .
Cheers, Vern

Last edited:
I saw those drawings but my mind doesn't work like that, that's why I asked those specific questions. You might think they are answered in the manual but I don't see it. No problem, thanks anyway.

Hi Carlos. Re-reading your post, I see that you probably meant 'front of the airplane' and 'rear of the airplane' not 'front of the panel' and 'rear of the panel'.

So, all of the huVVer-AVI devices in the photos are identical in size and are the 2"hole versions (fascia mount). The one on the glareshield is mounted by a shop-made bracket attached to the old compass mount.

The rear panel uses identical devices, mounted in an array of 2" (2.25") instrument holes made by a commercial hole punch. I could have used a 3" hole punch and mounted the 3" version of the displays (huVVer-AVI-3), but I liked the look of the 2" versions.

Cheers, Vern

Ok these pictures of the rear might help. Are these 2" displays installed on top of the panel so they look like how a G5 is installed? What size are the holes in this picture?
The mounting holes for the 2" version are standard 2.25" instrument holes. The front portion of the case sits against the panel and sticks out like the G5.

The 3" version has a larger front case and is designed to mount behind the panel, with only a small 3" round portion that sticks through and comes flush with the panel.

It might be the picture angle but the rear ones look bigger than the display in front. I'm looking for that look in the back.
They are both the same size. It's just the perspective of the photo that makes the front one look smaller.

My next panel under construction.

Although MakerPlane distributes the finished product, I still have retained the rights to make my own. Since I need seven of these for my next project, I dusted off my assembly tools and set to it.

By far the most expensive component on these is the sunlight readable LCD display. These are not shown in the picture, but are kept in safe storage until completion of testing.

The second most expensive component is the 3D printed cases. Rob designed them to be injection molded, but the volume has to ramp up a bit more for that to be economical. I will admit that 3D printing has revolutionized electronics design. I sold my Taig CNC Micromill which I used in the past for machining cases... it was rendered functionally obsolete by 3D printing. Tough to admit (for an electrical engineer) that the mechanical engineering was critical to the project's success. Rob has made a career of industrial design and mechanical engineering of consumer products, and it shows (but not in this picture).

V

Attachments

• IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 135
Back