What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument DPE needed for check ride in -10, in/near Utah

vfr800

Well Known Member
As I started IFR training in the RV?10 this fall, I was aware that some DPE's wouldn't perform an instrument check ride in an RV/experimental thanks to discussions on this forum previously. However, I under estimated this limitation. My CFII has been unable to find a willing DPE near SLC despite calling several in the area...

I have found one DPE in LA who is able to help out (again thanks to the wealth of knowledge in VAF and its community). He's only about 4 hours away at RV speeds but would involve much more time and expense, likely having to stay at least one night there.

My question -- Anyone know a DPE closer to Salt Lake City who would be willing to do an instrument checkride in a well-equipped -10?

It has a standard Garmin stack plus GRT screens. It's been awesome for training and I can't wait to knock out the check ride soon! Worst case scenario I have to fly down to Los Angeles near my alma mater prior to my deployment, but my wife gave me a funny look when I mentioned this! :eek:

DPE at Calavaras, CA, has done ifr checkrides in a -10.
About 100 miles east of SFO, at least it's closer than LA!
At some point it may be cheaper to rent a 172 locally.

Edit: DPE's name is Rob Davids

Last edited:
It's done!

Thanks to the above VAF community inputs, I was able to take and pass the instrument practical this week -- woohoo!

To summarize a couple helpful pointers for others wanting to test in an RV:

- To indicate the aircraft used for the practical in IACRA, an RV is categorized as "HOME-AMTR-AMATEUR." I forget the exact search I used (maybe Home) but that's the end goal/label.

- The DPE did some digging on his end before agreeing to do the practical in an RV/experimental. This took some extra time on his end. As a highly experienced DPE with some free time he seemed intrigued to expand his knowledge (& to experience an RV). Some DPEs may simply be too busy for this step, but others don't mind talking it over with the FSDO and likely cracking open some books. He hadn't done a instrument practical in an experimental before -- but it can be done.

- The DPE walked away with admiration of the RV10; performance (as built by Rene) and avionics capability (equipped with GRT's Hx SVT, Garmin stack, TT VSGV autopilot, etc.).

I have loved it for IFR training and look forward to appropriate IFR travel in the near future!

Thanks again, VAF!

Congratulations on your new rating Ryan. I hope to follow and do the same in my -10.

Thanks to the above VAF community inputs, I was able to take and pass the instrument practical this week -- woohoo!

To summarize a couple helpful pointers for others wanting to test in an RV:

- To indicate the aircraft used for the practical in IACRA, an RV is categorized as "HOME-AMTR-AMATEUR." I forget the exact search I used (maybe Home) but that's the end goal/label.

- The DPE did some digging on his end before agreeing to do the practical in an RV/experimental. This took some extra time on his end. As a highly experienced DPE with some free time he seemed intrigued to expand his knowledge (& to experience an RV). Some DPEs may simply be too busy for this step, but others don't mind talking it over with the FSDO and likely cracking open some books. He hadn't done a instrument practical in an experimental before -- but it can be done.

- The DPE walked away with admiration of the RV10; performance (as built by Rene) and avionics capability (equipped with GRT's Hx SVT, Garmin stack, TT VSGV autopilot, etc.).

I have loved it for IFR training and look forward to appropriate IFR travel in the near future!

Thanks again, VAF!

Thanks for posting..I will file this away as I plan to take my checkride in my 7. Hopefully I do not have to fly cross country to locate a dpe.

Ryan, nice meeting you and your wife today. Hope you had a pleasant visit our corner of paradise.

Your RV looked sharp in front of the B&B.

Awesome VAF community

Brian - was a pleasure meeting you as well. Especially since you helped me find what I needed to complete my IFR check ride some 20 months ago.

Even got to use that rating for an approach to Glacier Park in your neck of the woods. Cabin Creek sure is a nice place. The beauty of that area, and the B&B/airport community left a great impression on us. Hope to be back, next time with a beverage or two to better express my thanks!

Erik - email sent as requested. Keep pushing toward the finish line!

Back