What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avare ADSB-IN

BobRv4

Well Known Member
Anyone using AVARE for your navigational needs? How do you get ADSB-IN to your android device? I'm using a small samsung table and would like to get IN, just not sure how to do it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks.

Yep. I use Avare on my Samsung tablet, Motorola phone and Nexus 7 tablet. My ADS-B device is a uAvionix echoUat and it shows up as a Wifi device named "Ping" and I simply connect to it as if I were connecting to any wireless router.

I first had to configure a port within Avere's External I/O app to tell Avare where to "listen" and most of the time when the echoUAT is started, Avare sees it and connects automatically. On occasion, the connection drops and I have to reconnect via my wireless settings - just like when my home router connection goes stupid.

I've also connected to my friends Freeflight Rangr 987.

Regards,
Rob

Stratux

You need to start with an ADS-B receiver. A Stratux is a nice DIY solution, or you can purchase a pre-built one. There are also commercial receivers available.

Avare can connect directly to the receiver - you don't need the I/O module anymore.

I flew with this combination for several years and it worked just fine. I have since upgraded to a uAvionix in/out solution and iFlyGPS. But Avare and Stratux is still a very useful combination.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Thanks very much for all the input, now start the hard part. Will start with the stratux receiver and work from there.

Gdl82

Got a becker transponder with a garmin GDL82. I typically dont fly with a tablet, would rather look outside and enjoy the view. But sometimes would be nice to have weather and traffic.

I've been using Avare on a phone for years combined with a Stratux unit. I have a guitar phone mount that holds the phone so I can glance at it and it certainly helps me know where to look for traffic that's transmitting position.

I find the smaller size of a phone to be more convenient than a tablet in the smaller -4 cockpit. Having hard wired USB power is really nice with this setup but I used a lithium battery pack for a year.

Last edited:
Back