What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installed Mini AP

I should post. I also just finished upgrading my mini x into an ap and added backup battery. It connects to my 400w for lpv approaches, the flight director is just like a mini g1000 and the syn vision and hands off approach capability is so great. For the money. It. Is. As. Good. As. It. Gets. Thanks grt now replace my vm 1000 screen

Agree.

Loved my Mini-X. Worked right out of the box. Minimal set-up required. Feature-packed. (Does melt at 2000F, though.) Would select it as a backup instrument in any future panel.

I want to talk myself into using my insurance money to buy more GRT glass for my current and future RV's. I really do. So I have this advice for them. Mark up each of your good-value-for-dollar products $100/per. Use the extra funds to hire someone to write decent, product-specific manuals for your avionics. Don't release anything new until your current product line is adequately documented.

Stein has his own fish to fry. TeamRV rarely visits anymore. Relying on the knowledgable crowd to drop by the hangar and help set up our panel gizmo's is not an option for some of us. We can't "RTFM" when it's not there. This is not the experience I'm hearing from the Advanced / Dynon clientele.

But the Mini? Yeah. Sweet little gem. A 5-star "buy" recommendation from me. Sold my D-10A (why would anyone want one of those?) to fund mine and would never look back.

/Rant off/

-Stormy

I'll second the rant concerning product documentation. Great product. Crappy documentation. Truly a shame that such excellent product engineering is being let down by the lack of supporting documents. The team at GRT have always been terrific to help out, but man, would they ever save a lot of phone calls if their documents actually contained enough information. Good installation manuals SAVE the manufacturer money as they spend fewer person-hours on the phone with customers.

I'll third. I have GRT equipment and think it's the right choice for me. The equipment's performance is great. (e.g., no loss of AI info if the pitot and/or gps fails). I see myself as something of a tech geek, I had no issues installing or operating an HX-HS-EIS system, and coupling it to a Trio Pro, SL-30, Garmin 420W, 327 transponder, ADSB-in (Skyradar)[Notice the many different manufacturers]. But sometimes I had to search thru their web site for information. The information is there, but fragmented into different manuals. Same for new features - they're usually on the web site somewhere in notices, etc., but not in the manuals where they belong. It can all be done; it does take some time to get it all set up right, but IMHO it's worth it in the end.

Back