What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foot wells

I built mine per that plan, and the wells hit my aileron torque tubes. I haven't remade them yet, but they need to be about 1.75" more shallow.
Does anyone want to re-make this drawing, so they will fit?

I did my footwells to that plan and they can fit. It depends on exactly where you locate them fore and aft. Perhaps best to see the complete blog entries at :

http://gikonfuse.blogspot.com/2006/06/footwells.html
and
http://gikonfuse.blogspot.com/2006/06/footwells-complete.html

Blogger made some changes and it is now very hard to get to the complete blog. I am thinking of making an index to overcome this.

I would suggest you make up the footwell (or a template) and slide it back and forward with the aileron tube installed to check you have the clearance. In my case its tight, but it fits. Proabably 1/16" to 1/8" clearance from memory, but clear.

-4 Footwells

There have been numerous mention of pass foot wells. How do you construct them?
I just finished the annual on my -4 and had the footwells out. Here are a couple of pictures which may help out....They are a must for the comfort of
your backseater...:)
IMG_6618.JPG

IMG_6619.JPG

The ones I built to plans always rubbed the pushtube. I ended up taking the flat part at the bottom out so the forward well angles back more. This works fine and my back seater loves it.

make cardboard ones first

The ones I built to plans always rubbed the pushtube. I ended up taking the flat part at the bottom out so the forward well angles back more. This works fine and my back seater loves it.

Yes the push tubes can be a problem and whatever else is inthe way. Make cardboard mockups first and then once satisfied that nothing rubs make them out of AL.

Speaking of footwells:

I recently got a ride in the back of a -4 with rudder pedals. I did not think of it at the time, but have looked at a -4 with rear foot wells without pedals. Could rudder pedals work if the foot wells were installed?

One of those things that I did not think to look at when I was in the presence of an airplane.

Thanks
Mark

Speaking of footwells:

I recently got a ride in the back of a -4 with rudder pedals. I did not think of it at the time, but have looked at a -4 with rear foot wells without pedals. Could rudder pedals work if the foot wells were installed?

One of those things that I did not think to look at when I was in the presence of an airplane.

Thanks
Mark

Yes. My hangar mate has a -4 with rear rudder and footwells.

Back