What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying all the kits at once

ScottK

Forgive me if this is asked and answered, I did my DD but didn't find it.

So my plan all along has been to get going with my tail kit, and then go ahead and order all three remaining airframe kits at once. Of course I'm second guessing the wisdom of doing that because wow that's a lot of money. I'm going over the pros and cons.

The pros: One, I'll have all of the parts under the current or similar design revision, so very little in the way of trying to incorporate design changes. Two, it's a good bet that prices will rise over time, and I'm not certain that I could invest my cash well enough to beat those increases. Three, accounting for shipping cost and tax...uh, deferral... I can easily justify a road trip to pick up everything at the factory for a significant savings.

The cons: One, I'll be stuck with current revision parts, and if SBs come out later I'll be paying extra for updated parts - but in a way this is true in all cases. Two, prices can fall or my meme stocks could truly rocket - but this is unlikely. Three, if I'm my own shipper, I have nobody else to blame for shipping damage, and it's between me and my own insurance carrier. [Four, if I own the kits, I have to find space to store the kits - but let's assume I have a solution for that.]

Another pro: I'm overdue for a vacation and have always wanted to visit the PNW.

I'm leaning towards it being a good idea. There must be other factors I'm not considering. What could they be?

I actually like to order everything that I can afford at once - that way I can move from one building job to another at will, especially if I get stuck on some task, and need my brain to work out the problem in the background - I can always go make progress on something else. Of course, that assumes that you have the financial capability to do it, and that you are committed enough to be pretty sure you’re going to see the project through!

Paul

Scott, a few general comments.

First you will need a lot of space to store these kits if you buy them all at once. If you have the space then no problem there. I wouldn't worry too much about changes. There have be a few during the course of my build but really not that many.

One advantage I can think of is the cost of the kits does go up over time. Depending on how long it takes you then that could be more or less. Over the course of my extended build I have noticed the significance of the increase though.

For you I think you might want to make sure you understand the time investment that is required to build one of these planes before purchasing all of the kits. That way if you decide this really isn't for you the loss that you take on the kit resale will be minimized.

life circumstances cause you to abandon the build - happens quite often.

I took a long time to finish my 10, but as i approach retirement - when I order my next one, I'll order kits sufficient to get me through 6-8 months, ie, tail plus wings at once, then buy subsequent kits with the knowledge of the current delays - I'm slow build all the way - love it.

I think the over-riding benefit is having all the kits with you if unexpected supply chain issues arise.

Several of the SBs that have come out have been remedied by "free" parts sent by Vans, I wouldn't let that interfere - just be sure you are checking for revisions at the time you approach that part.

I miss the PNW too.

Phil
RV-10
Bountiful, Utah (KBTF)

I haven't personally ordered a kit, but one thing does come to mind. Vans lead times sound like they are are very long currently and if you ordered all the kits to pick up at the same time you'd be receiving everything at the longest lead time.

Scott, a few general comments.

First you will need a lot of space to store these kits if you buy them all at once. If you have the space then no problem there. I wouldn't worry too much about changes. There have be a few during the course of my build but really not that many.

One advantage I can think of is the cost of the kits does go up over time.

For you I think you might want to make sure you understand the time investment that is required to build one of these planes before purchasing all of the kits. That way if you decide this really isn't for you the loss that you take on the kit resale will be minimized.

The thing about this part is, when the kit prices rise, if say 7 years you've had enough, you could probably get more of your initial investment back.

When I started on the Rans S19, I bought the entire airplane kit and interior all at once.

I've never seen the kit prices go down.
Nor engines, nor props. (although sometimes updated props or engine choices appear, so that is a consideration.)

Now avionics is another matter entirely. Defer, defer, defer until you absolutely have to have them.

Good question.
If you have the money and dry storage, I would order all the kits sans avionics if I do it again and I will in a couple more years down the road.
You can always sell if you don't like the process. Loose cash, Maybe, but you'll have all the important pieces for the next person. Life is shorter than you realize and having all the big pieces makes it go smoother.
I did and it did on the first one in 1991 and will do it again.
Art

I bought all the airframe kits at once. Then one day Santa offered me a deal on an engine. Once I got the engine, I ordered the finish kit. I'm building an RV-3B and there is no FWF kit for that plane but I've been trying to get the things needed for that.

For me, it was the right decision.

Have to admit though, that between kit crates with some parts remaining and assemblies in storage, that my hangar is getting full enough.

Dave

Order the tail kit and see how building goes and half way through if well, order everything else. That way you can determine if you like building and if not, no big financial loss. With the rest of the kits on hand you will avoid price increases in the future and also most importantly, avoid long waits for the next kit. Vacation to the NW and pick up kits sounds like a good idea. Shipping rates are terrible! The tail kit alone is not big or expensive to ship.

Kits

There is a minimal downside and significant advantage. By the way, there are five kits. Empennage, Wings, Fuse, Finishing, Firewall Forward.
SBs are few and Vans is really good about SB kits.
If you can jump on a crated engine, more savings.

Advantages
Prices go up every year. Usually on April 1. Go figure. Huge savings.
Pickup in person. Huge savings.

Disadvantages
Figure the storage cost (if any).
Issues resulting in a sale. Most likely loose $ selling.

I bought an unstarted empennage and tools for 1/2 price. Then wings and fuse were purchased together. Finishing and FWF were purchased individually. I got a new in crate Vans Lyco for several thousand savings. I track my savings from deals and discounts. It's worth the effort.

Buy a tool kit, a starter kit (for learning) and the empennage kit....and see how you go. Just dip your toe in the water.

It has been suggested that only about 30% of RV builders who start at the empennage actually finish the aircraft and get it flying. That means you only have about a 1 in 3 chance of ever completing this project....not very good odds.

Of course EVERY builder thinks they will finish the aircraft....otherwise they wouldn't start in the first place...but most do not finish. And the more money you invest in kits the more money you will lose when you bail out of the project.

The number of incomplete projects coming up for sale on VansAirforce is just staggering....there have been 5 projects put up for sale in just the last 3 days.

There are lots of dreamers out there but very few builders have the perseverance to complete an aircraft build. My advice....minimise your investment at this stage until you are absolutely positive that this game is for you.

All else aside, if you do buy everything at once, then building speed may become a factor. Everything comes in a blue plastic film and you may find that it may be difficult to get off if you don't get to it for a few years. Corrosion may also be an issue, especially if stored in a moist environment or with cardboard or shipping paper.

Jeff

I ordered all kits at the same time. You're right... A chunk of change. When they arrived, right away I felt like I had for the first time in my life bitten off more than I could chew. After a few days of organizing I did start feeling better. My entire kit was inside my house... (I had a quick build too)!

The only absolute I would add is unless you can store everything in a controlled environment, I wouldn't order everything. I'm not talking about a garage or a storage building outside. I'm talking about air-conditioned etc. You don't want corrosion or critters and critter ****/urine causing problems later.

Back