What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flip that canoe baby!

Huge milestone! I remember that one...no more crawling up from underneath, bonking your head, etc...you know what I mean!
Congratulations!

Ryan

That's a big milestone. Others include getting it on its gear, hanging the engine, and putting it on the truck to head to the airport.

Congrat's on getting this one checked off.

Awsome! But, pics or it didn't happen...

I'm getting close myself. Once we "flip the canoe", we get to start "stuffing the bird"! :D:D:D

51023202298_83bd6ea8e4_w.jpg

Two of my friends came over after work to help with canoe flipping operations. I went to A&P School/College with these guys about 25 years ago. After graduation, several of us moved to ICT around the same time to go to work for Cessna or Beech.

The guy on the left was one of my room mates and is now Director of Air Safety for Textron/Beech, the guy on the right is in trade compliance and was previously a Crash Investigator for Textron/Cessna. Ironically, none of us has had a tool box at work for decades. In some ways it seems like yesterday :)

Attachments

• IMG_5366.jpg
    IMG_5366.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 252
The guy on the left was one of my room mates and is now Director of Air Safety for Textron/Beech, the guy on the right is in trade compliance and was previously a Crash Investigator for Textron/Cessna. Ironically, none of us has had a tool box at work for decades. In some ways it seems like yesterday :)

Those guys might know my brother-in-law, Don Alvord. He recently retired from Textron. I think he had something to do with Cessna and Beech production there in Wichita.

Maybe, The name is familiar.

It's a big community, I worked for Cessna back in the day and there were about 12,000 employees worldwide, most of them in Kansas. No idea what Beech's employee numbers were back then. But for both campuses its probably quite a bit less than that now.

A bunch of us graduated at the same time and all landed in Wichita. Some for Beech, some for Cessna. For some reason, nobody went to Boeing. Maybe they weren't hiring back then?

I vaguely remember one of my other college friends who was at Beech bought us our first fridge with his employee discount, because at the time Beech was owned by Raytheon and they also owned Amana Appliances. Textron also owns E-Z Go, Cherry fasteners, Bell Helicopter and a bunch of other stuff.

Lots of ribbing back and forth, but then Textron bought Beech and we are all under the umbrella of "Textron Aviation" now.

With all that churn over the years, I know lots of people by name or face but not both.

Last edited:
Terry,
We have a great RV Builders group that meets monthly in the Wichita area (every 3rd Saturday). Would love for you to join us. Check us out on Facebook.
AirCapital RVators

PM me for more information.
Lonny

Back