What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert 6 to 6A

JackW794

Would it be difficult to convert a RV6 to a 6A? The fuselage is under construction with the front legs and tail-wheel attached. Nothing has been done on the empennage and no engine is attached.

Would anyone wanting the opposite conversion be interested in swapping parts?

Unfortunately getting taildragger training in a Vans is almost impossible in my part of the country, and the cost for 20 hours plus travel expenses is too expensive for my taste. And then the cost of insurance is significantly more.

6 to 6A swap

I am wanting to swap my 6A to a 6. I have all the parts, new, never installed as part of my finish kit. Would love to trade for the tailwheel parts. I sent you a PM with my phone number.
Thanks!
Eric

Reusing 6A main gear legs and mounts

This may be a crazy idea, but has anyone converted their 6 to a 6A using the main gear mounts and legs from a finished 6A? I'm wondering if this could save me a lot of work in fitting things properly on an upside down fuselage.

If this idea is nuts, please tell me. Van's was doubtful that this approach would work well, but didn't mention any stories of people who have tried it. They advised me to go through the whole procedure in their builders manual.

I would think the best way forward would be to start with all new parts that have not been assembled onto another airframe but I may also be a little biased in wanting to trade ;-)

Back