What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Criteria for buying an RV6a

NorcalRV

I'm New Here
Hi everyone, I have been looking at RV6a's for 6-7 months causally and now I am ready to buy. This will be my first plane and I am new to aviation. When I am reading the ads I want to know what are your go and no go things you look for? I want to be able to choose the right plane and get a pre-buy done on it and be able to quickly weed out undesirable planes.

* Did any of you have a set criteria for those hours (airframe/engine)?
* Airframe TT does it matter?
* In an 0-360 what is considered Mid to low time (anything less than 750)? Overhaul is at 1500hrs correct?
* What about engines that have already been overhauled and now have a certain amount of time SMOH? Still worth considering what about hours?

My budget is 65k or less and I want ideally an 0-360 CS with a slider just in case anyone knows of one coming onto the market.

Thanks for any help! Keen to learn from everyone here!

Ryan

I would highly encourage you to join your local EAA chapter and engage the tech counselor / flight advisor programs. Those are the vetted people that will be happy to sit down and dive into the details of your, yet to be identified, airplane for the most success.

Most 0-360’s are 2000 TBO, but I have run some to 3000 hrs with no problems. Same applies to SMOH. 100-1200 hrs SMOH or TT is mid time.

I’d probably make sure you get a good prebuy by someone specifically expereinced with the rV-6A regardless of hours. IMO, $65K for 0-360 with CS prop will not likely get you modern avionics.

Get into a local EAA chapter to get some more insight.

Thanks. Will do. Just trying to reach out in as many directions and get as many opinions/thoughts. I am sure they're a few first time plane/RV6a buyers out there who had a set of criteria. I understand that it will differ for each person but I am keen to see what others prioritized.

I just did what you're doing. Took several months. Have your money ready, be willing to move on the right airplane, and be willing to walk away.

I had to write down things that were "dealkillers" to me - sort of like a "personal minimums" list, because I'm the kind of emotional buyer who will rationalize a bad decision. This helped. For me, that meant corrosion, engine problems, missing records.

I wasn't worried about the most modern avionics because that was driving the price out of my budget and I had long term plans to upgrade my way, anyway, so my criteria were as follows:

1) 180 hp and CS prop
2) Good build quality
3) Excellent maintenance history

The RV6A I found never went on the market - I expressed an interest in buying and the seller reached out to me privately.

The airplane is extensively documented and the maintenance history was clear and easy to follow. The pre-buy inspection was conducted by an A&P/IA who has specific expertise in RVs. Although the airplane needed a couple of items (prop needed to be inspected and profiled, mags are probably due for an overhaul but in good shape) the general condition was good-to-excellent.

I would also recommend Vic Syracuse's pre-buy book. Even if you're not the inspector, it's a wealth of information about do's and don'ts you can find in the airplane.

Ryan, you said you are "new to aviation". How new?

Total hours and experience can have a big impact on what direction your aircraft search takes. A certain amount of flight time is needed in order to determine the type of flying and aircraft that best meets what is often referred to as "mission profile". Priority on local flights or long cross countries? Solo flight or sharing the flight with passengers(s)? Ability to do maintenance or dependent on a shop? Your stated budget is going to be quite limiting in regard to your corner of the market and possibly operating costs.

Time spent with honest reflection on what you want from aviation will pay big dividends when making a decision on what/whether to buy. Enjoy the journey....but be a very informed shopper....and with your background I'm confident you will do your homework. :)

Last edited:
Back