What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop overhaul heads up

Lote

I sent my constant speed prop to Hartzell for overhaul. When it came back, I found that the black hub cap had been re-mounted/rotated such that the platenuts on my front spinner plate no longer line up with the front holes on my spinner.

Anybody run into this before? I'm going to have to order a new front spinner plate from Vans and drill it/mount platenuts to match my spinner unless there is a better solution. Can the hub cap be re-clocked to the right position? I probably should have marked it and the hub and told Hartzell to put it back on exactly the way it was.

LeRoy Johnston RV-6A "Esperanza" 1420 hours

I sent my constant speed prop to Hartzell for overhaul. When it came back, I found that the black hub cap had been re-mounted/rotated such that the platenuts on my front spinner plate no longer line up with the front holes on my spinner.

Anybody run into this before? I'm going to have to order a new front spinner plate from Vans and drill it/mount platenuts to match my spinner unless there is a better solution. Can the hub cap be re-clocked to the right position? I probably should have marked it and the hub and told Hartzell to put it back on exactly the way it was.

I recently had the same thing happen when mine came back from Tiffin.

In talking with others, I found out it is quite common. They tighten to a torque value, which means the holes may not align.

I drilled out the nut plates and re-mounted them in the new locations.

Standard practice from what I've seen over the years. Re-drill the holes in the front spinner bulkhead and move the nut plates.

Another, quicker, option is to file the bolt holes on the front spinner bulkhead into a slot for the bolt to move in. Rotate the bulkhead (front plate) to match your spinner and then tighten the bolts. A little file work makes large gains in the rotational position of the bulkhead allowing your existing nut plates to line up.

Thanks guys!

It is off just a little so I can't re-drill the nutplates because I'd be hitting the edges of the holes of the old ones. But that means if I do the slot solution I will only have to turn the plate a little. Nice!

Same problem, got my from East Coast Propeller. I use the back screws only to hold the spinner on. Is it possible to loosen the center nut, move it then re-torq the nut? Or slot the holes or drill new ones? At least I have options.

Back