What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Throttle Handle

Paddy

Well Known Member
While avoiding yard work work this weekend, I decided to make a new throttle handle. I never liked the way the original felt and the fact that it wasn't centered over the quadrant. This handle is made from some 25mm OD 23mm ID carbon fiber tube from eBay. The end caps were turned from some 1" 6061 stock and there's another piece of it turned down and tapped 10x32, bonded inside the tube to attach to the throttle lever with the same hole as the original. Works great and has added 5kts and reduced fuel flow by 1.5gph. :p

i-XTkBwVw-L.jpg
i-DxXSvMk-L.jpg

Last edited:
Now.... While you're at it. I would mount a little TO/GA button on that throttle handle. For sure that'll add another 2kts. ;-)

To/GA

Now.... While you're at it. I would mount a little TO/GA button on that throttle handle. For sure that'll add another 2kts. ;-)

You know, I did think about that, even left enough room for the wire inside the handle. Just got to think of something to replace the existing TO/GA button. Chaff maybe?

TO/GA Switch.

The TO/GA button already installed is a DPST. Dual poles are required to isolate the ground between the GTN650 and the G3X. I hadn't seen that SteinAir had a DPST micro switch until you pointed it out. The TO/GA function really is nice, I've used it many times practicing approaches, surreal the way that Garmin A/P flies the missed...

Last edited:
Paddy, that's an awesome home brewed modification! I'm sure it required going back into Phase 1 with that much change to the air frame. Ha!

Back