What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recessed footwell prints?

Hello All!
Last sept I bought a flying 4, and I LOVE this plane!
I have finally got to the point, where I'm going to "make it mine".

I want to add the passenger floor foot wells. I found the "plans" in the RVator, and made them. Much to my dismay.........they don't fit.

Does anyone have a revised print? I don't really want to waste more sheet stock! LOL!:D

Thanks for all of the input!

Jason Edwards
RV-4 "Dream Chaser"
Richland Center, WI.

I designed and made mine a few years ago, sorry I don't have any plans to offer but you can make some out of poster board made to smaller depth dimensions than those from the -8. You may simply estimate the depth based on some measurements to be sure you will have clearance. Then if these fit properly you can make the real ones from metal and will not chance wasting any metal.

Hope this helps.

Glenn Wilkinson

Jason, I see Dave has sent you a .pdf plan so perhaps you no longer have the problem.

I made my footwells to this plan, double click it to blow it up, and they DO fit. I mention this because it is VERY tight. The clearance from the aileron push rods is minimal.

I suggest you measure very carefully before you cut up more sheet.

Tight Squeeze..

I too used Steve's RV8R plan for The Bandit's footwells. I made their depth 2" less than described to clear my aileron pushrods. Highly recommended modification! That was one of the many big improvements John Harmon built into the Rocket :)

Smokey
HR2

After viewing John's prototype HR2 it is rumored that Van sat down at his drawing board and the result is now known as the RV8!

make them out of cardboard first

Hello All!

I want to add the passenger floor foot wells. I found the "plans" in the RVator, and made them. Much to my dismay.........they don't fit.

Does anyone have a revised print? I don't really want to waste more sheet stock! LOL!:D

Build as per Steve's plan.....they should be close...tweak the cardboard pieces and then build out of AL...

Hi All
I installed footwellls in my -4 last year (6'2" son said the best thing I ever did)
I used the plans as a guide and just made adjustments as needed to fit. It is a real easy afternoon project :)

Back