What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Conversion WW-200RV CS Prop to Hartzell CS

johnso29

I completed my RV-7A, ECI IO-360 with dual P-Mags, AirFlow Performance Fuel Injection, dual screen Dynon Skyview System, and Whirlwind 200_RV prop in April 2017. I'm sending the prop back to factory for Tare down inspection due to slight oil leak in the hub. The prop is 10 years old - stayed in shipping carton for 7 years.

I installed lightweight parts (starter, alternator, WW prop) in the engine compartment. This combination has required keeping baggage weight to a maximum of 65 pounds. I'm thinking this is the time to change to the Hartzell recommended prop and adjust the CG to one favoring more cargo.

Couple of questions for those who can help:

1. Have any of you converted from Whirlwind 200 RV to Hartzell CZYR-1BFP/F74972?

2. If so, did you have any problems with the fitment between the spinner/bulkhead and the front of the cowling?

3. Did you use the Vans Aircraft Spinner or the Hartzell?

4. Did you use the Vans or Hartzell spinner bulkhead?

BTW, if there are no major issues to change the prop, the Whirlwind 200-RV will be for sale after the inspection. I'll list it in the classifieds section.

Thanks,

Don Johnson
RV-7A N546DR
Completed April 2017
255 Hobbs hours

:)

You have a great prop. Have you considered other alternatives - Where is the battery? Can that be moved forward?

I changed from the Hartzell to the WW200RV.
This is an easy swap, no modifications required and the (Vans) spinner will be right where your Whirlwind spinner is sitting. The required cutout on the cowl is a little larger for the Whirlwind so going to the Hartzell is really easy.

Back