What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Joint Question

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
The ball joints in the -10 system (and probably others) are held together with spring loaded clamps. What I can't figure out and can't find in the plans is how tight the clamps should be tightened. Do I pull the flanges together. Do I leave a gap? If so how large should the gap be?

I think tightening them to the point where the flanges on the clamps touch will damage the clamps. My guess is that I get the required thread engagement on the supplied fasteners and let the springs take care of it from there.

Here's a pic:

Just enough spring pressure to prevent the joint from separating under the force of backpressure, which will be pretty low.

Add a little bit for "mother" to prevent excess chaffing from vibration

Exhaust clamps

Do not tighten enough to bottom the spring or distort the triangle flanges. Looking at your picture about 2 threads showing on the bolt should be about right. Test it by moving the tail pipe and see how much resistance there is or if it stays in place without sagging. Using an anti-seize also makes a difference on how tight it feels

Thanks, Gentlemen. Looks like I have it dialed in correctly. If you look carefully, you can even see the anti-seize on the ball joint.

Exhaust joint

On the initial installation anti seize is the best then mouse milk to keep it free. If it is taken apart for inspection etc, then use anti seize again.

Larry while you are still here I have a question. I examined closely my exhaust recently and noticed a white ragged line around the joint. What could it be? A crack?

Several thousand hours on your system never had any problem.

Crack

From what I can see in the picture it looks like a crack so I suggest taking it apart and look on the other side as a true crack will be apparent from both sides

Vetterman recommends "Mouse Milk" for all the exhaust slip and Ball joints I give them a squirt every time the cowlings is off..

Back