camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-29-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Flyleds View Post
Hi Randy

Plan B could be to use our Stand-Alone tail light in your rudder. It just needs 12 volts and it will act as both a position light and a strobe, making your plane night legal.
Then you can relocate your Tail Beacon to the inside of a wingtip, picking up position light power there. In this location the beacon works just fine for ADS-B out duties.

Or, upgrade your complete strobe system to our The Original Flyleds kit along with our standard tail light. Our kit should be a bunch brighter than the position lights you have now, and you can reuse your existing wiring as well.
While your strobe parts are still working they are worth money to folks driving certified aircraft who have no other choice. You might recover the entire upgrade costs doing this.

Please click through for more information!

Paul, thanks for the reply! I think this might be the best solution.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoDrvr View Post
Keep in mind on a -4 or -8, a strobe on the vertical stab will be distracting in the cockpit, as it will flash through the bubble canopy.
I think the 4 rudder is unbalanced like the 6. That means the tip fiberglass on the vertical stab is longer, and you can get the strobe far enough back that the forward portion of the tip is enough to block the strobe.

At least, the Whelen strobe on the tip of my 6 vertical stab does not flash into the cockpit... And it sticks a good inch and a bit out of the tip. The lower profile one looks like it would be even better protected.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Hi Randy

Plan B could be to use our Stand-Alone tail light in your rudder. It just needs 12 volts and it will act as both a position light and a strobe, making your plane night legal.
Then you can relocate your Tail Beacon to the inside of a wingtip, picking up position light power there. In this location the beacon works just fine for ADS-B out duties.

Or, upgrade your complete strobe system to our The Original Flyleds kit along with our standard tail light. Our kit should be a bunch brighter than the position lights you have now, and you can reuse your existing wiring as well.
While your strobe parts are still working they are worth money to folks driving certified aircraft who have no other choice. You might recover the entire upgrade costs doing this.

Please click through for more information!

Ok, looking at it, I don't see how my tailbeacon will fit in a wingtip position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6061.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	445.7 KB
ID:	31793  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6060.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	31794  
Old 10-02-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF84Sluggo View Post
I saw these:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...7a0ba318bd6449

Now, I like the idea of separate strobes and beacons. I've never cared for the GA thing of turning strobes on in the chocks, and all the time. Being a former airline guy, that was considered poor form, especially at night, blinding people around you with flashing strobes. We turned on the strobes (all external lights, actually) when crossing runways, then off. Strobes were turned otherwise only when taking the active runway, takeoff or line-up-and-wait; turned off when you cleared the active after landing.

So, I'm way ok with anti-collision beacons for anytime the engine is running, strobes only used as I described above.
Same here, I have this: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages...dbaronmini.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-10535.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	31795  Click image for larger version

Name:	Alive again.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	31796  
Old 10-02-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF84Sluggo View Post
Ok, looking at it, I don't see how my tailbeacon will fit in a wingtip position.
It can be mounted on a bracket inside the wingtip, so it's completely out of sight. I've seen a rib made of fiberglass attached to the wingtip itself, while others have just folded up a simple bracket and mounted it to the outermost rib on the wing. Example here.

I understand that you can turn the position light off on some models, not sure if you can do that on all.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
It can be mounted on a bracket inside the wingtip, so it's completely out of sight. I've seen a rib made of fiberglass attached to the wingtip itself, while others have just folded up a simple bracket and mounted it to the outermost rib on the wing. Example here.

I understand that you can turn the position light off on some models, not sure if you can do that on all.

Ok, now I get it. Thanks!
Old 10-03-2022, 06:47 AM

I'd pull the Tail Beacon, replace it with a nav/strobe combo of your choice and then upgrade your transponder to ADSB In/Out. It is so nice to have ADSB In without having to suction cup something somewhere.
Tail Kit Delivered 10/31/22
Currently flying N1235D - Cessna 170A
Old 10-03-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstates View Post
I'd pull the Tail Beacon, replace it with a nav/strobe combo of your choice and then upgrade your transponder to ADSB In/Out. It is so nice to have ADSB In without having to suction cup something somewhere.
This would be the best solution, I agree. But my -4 has one of those irritating Becker round transponders. Going with a 'normal' transponder, well, now we're really starting to get into a project, and $$$$$$.

Maybe not flying at night is the answer...lolol