What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360 Checklist

dvalle

Well Known Member
I have a checklist that has a Van's Air Force logo on top. I cannot find it on this site anywhere. With all my years of flying, embarrassed to say, I find it a bit confusing:) Anyone know where it came from?

If you look on the home page on the left side, there is a button for “POH’s”. There are examples for POH’s for some of the various RV models, and in them, you’ll usually find a checklist. However, those are operational checklists for a certain airplane. The Vans Airforce logo that may appear on some of them can be copied to a personal written checklist. Some will be for an airplane with an IO-360 engine. If you’re looking for a condition inspection checklist, and specifically looking for engine related annual condition inspection checklist items, there are some links at the bottom of that page for condition inspection examples.
You could use these examples to write your own checklist, along with the logo, so that it’s tailored to your airplane. POH is not required for an EAB aircraft, nor is a written checklist, unless it’s spelled out in your Operating Limitations. Operating Limitations issued when the airplane received its airworthiness certificate is all that is required (and carried onboard the aircraft in flight). You can write your own checklists, POH, etc. if you want. Checklists are a good idea in my opinion - Normal, Abnormal, and Emergency, but not a requirement.
I’m pretty sure this is all correct……. Mel?? Am I right?

Last edited:
Thanks, I will certainly look with your help.

Yes, I think you are correct. I'm a 40+ year certified plane (s) owner so pretty new to experimental. I'm looking for the startup portion of the checklist. I one of those that says, find the best starting technique and use it. But, on this IO360, seems like whatever I try, it cranks too much, cold or hot. It usually starts great cold but lately even that is getting harder.

The confusion is over the checklist I have with the use of "fuel cutoff" and "mixture" words in the checklist. All my years, I don't know of any diff. And it's confusing...but, now that I know from your comments, it's personally made, I understand.

I looked and now the old age is making it difficult for me to edit:-(. Well, the same reason, OLD age... found this is clearly my fault for the confusion. I found a similar checklist and it uses fuel cut-off...to me meaning fuel off or on. I thought it was referring to the mixture....

Thanks again

Last edited:
I don’t have my engine start checklist anymore for my fuel injected RV8 (doesn’t matter what model RV you have), but basically this is it:

On a cold engine:
. Throttle Open 1/4”
. Mixture Rich
. Boost pump On (3-5 seconds), then Off
. Left Mag/Ign On (If you have the certified standard keyed ignition switch,
just engage the starter)
. Starter Engage

If this doesn’t work successfully, or if the engine is hot, you’ll basically flood the engine and then start the engine with the mixture in idle cutoff. Here’s how:

. Throttle Open
. Mixture Rich
. Boost pump On (~5 seconds), then off
. Throttle Open 1/4” (some will say use a more open throttle)
. Mixture Idle Cutoff
. Left Mag/Ign On (for the keyed ignition switch - just engage the starter)
. Starter Engage

When the engine fires, do the throttle/mixture dance quickly:
. Move the mixture towards full rich while moving the throttle lower to control RPM rise. Look for oil pressure rise.

If you have a fuel injection system that includes a return to tank plumbing, you’ll need to use your boost pump to clear any vapor from the hot fuel lines, and then do the same thing as above - I think - I’ve never used a return to tank system, so I’m not sure this is how it works, but with my former fuel injected RV8, I never had trouble starting using this type of procedure.

Hi Scott

Yes, in my years of experience, that has worked the best on Lycoming's I have owned and flew. In fact, on the couple Mooney's for hot starts, it worked best with mixture in and just a touch of fuel.

With this one, I've had pretty good luck with cold starts but sometimes not. I think it's temperamental on how many "seconds" I give it fuel. If just right, it fires immediately, if not, I never know if it needs more or if I gave it too much. On hot starts, that's another story. No matter what approach, lengthy cranking is necessary.

In Continentals, of which I've had many of my own, a little diff, especially in Cessna turbo models. Many times, depending on how hot, I run the fuel pump a few minutes with mixture out to get rid of vapor or get cooler fuel (whatever it is that makes it start) and also start with mixture in. Usually, one revolution and it's running. Lately, on normally aspirated IO's, I start with no fuel and mixture in, and pump the throttle while cranking and it always works. Why? I have no idea. The guy that owned it did so, I tried it and, low and behold, it works. And it has 2 of the Continentals:-(

Thanks

Back