What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Open Rivet holes ahead of Wing Spar opening?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Getting close to the initial wing fitting. This is a project, and so I'm not always sure why I find the things I do, however the original builder has generally done a wonderful job.
There are 6 open rivet holes just ahead of the insertion box for the spar on both sides.

Looking for information on why they're open, when to fill them, and what to fill them with.

Pics attached. Both sides have pull rivets in the lower two holes, and then the same pattern of clecos and open holes. As I've said, the original builder hasn't missed many things, so I assume this is for a reason. I'm just not sure what the reason is, and when these can be finished.

This is the left, port side of the fuselage:

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 254
The plans have you rivet those holes when you rivet the side skins so there's no reason not to set those rivets now. Plus it'd be a pain (impossible??) to set them after the wings are on.

Some builders put parts of the fuel system in that space forward of the main spar. Fuel filters that sort of thing. I wonder if those holes had been left open to facilitate fitting some of these items?

Just Me

Some builders put parts of the fuel system in that space forward of the main spar. Fuel filters that sort of thing. I wonder if those holes had been left open to facilitate fitting some of these items?

Check the plans first to make sure they are no left open per the plans; otherwise I would put rivets in them now. If you want to drill out one or two for extra stuff later then you can do it then. It would be a real bummer to put the wings on, and then realize these were forgotten. Once the wings go on, I hear it is really hard to get them off.

Looking through my build log, this section was riveted before the gear legs are installed.

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 160
Back