What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Change to winged 1/4 turn oil door fasteners?

dbier99

Well Known Member
My recently acquired RV6A has 1/4 turn Phillips head fasteners for the oil filler hatch. Coming from the flying club (C-172 & Piper Archer) world I'm used to the 1/4 turn winged fasteners that I can open close without a screwdriver and I can visually verify as fully secured from the cockpit.
So I'm thinking of switching and wonder how hard it would be and what parts I need to find (proper name, sizing, etc). Honestly, if it's not a very easy swap I won't bother - and figure you guys will know.
I've attached pictures of what I currently have and the style I'm thinking of going to (but I'd want the tiniest winged fasteners available).

Attachments

• 20220930_214856.jpg
    20220930_214856.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 122
  • cowl image 3-M.jpg
    cowl image 3-M.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 136
Swap out is easy. The problem is there are slim odds the sockets are clocked just right so the fastener tabs are running fore and aft. This will require drill out, glass repair and such.

Carl

Personally, I've always been a huge fan of the Cessna-type push-button latches, specifically the CamLoc KM610. Very secure, easy to use, nothing sticking out into the airstream. I've always hated those quarter-turn fasteners. The were routine when I was a student pilot and I always remember them as routinely loose and wobbly. I was always surprised that they never seemed to come loose in the air. I have also felt the same way about a piano hinge in this application.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cessnapart110.php

https://www.rv7blog.com/2012/06/10/oil-door/

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/averyoildoorhinge.php

Last edited:
Swap out is easy. The problem is there are slim odds the sockets are clocked just right so the fastener tabs are running fore and aft. This will require drill out, glass repair and such.
Carl
Hadn't thought of that - which of course is the benefit of posting the question here. :)
If I do decide to give it a try - where would I find them (or maybe the question is what does aircraft spruce call them)?

Personally, I've always been a huge fan of the Cessna-type push-button latches, specifically the CamLoc KM610. Very secure, easy to use, nothing sticking out into the airstream. [/url]
I like those too - but probably too much modification needed for my limited fabrication experience. But if the oil hatch ever gets replaced your suggestion and links will come in handy - thanks!

Hadn't thought of that - which of course is the benefit of posting the question here. :)
If I do decide to give it a try - where would I find them (or maybe the question is what does aircraft spruce call them)?

If you are willing to do the glass/paint work, there are other options then the winged fastener. More attractive looking, secure and nothing sticking out in the airstream.

Leave it be....

An alternative view.....Since you have "limited fabrication experience", I'd just go fly you new airplane and see how much it REALLY bothers you in 200 hours.

I'm sure you'll find lots of other things that are more important to update.

Enjoy your new airplane!

Laird

JB Weld

I would JB weld on two pennies to the existing fasteners. Maybe even file down the pennies so they form a screw bit to help grab the fasteners better.
If you want to be cute, glue on two euro's or other foreign currency.

Another alternative for no tools

I just completed my oil door for my RV-10. I too did not a tool to be needed to open and I also wanted a smooth look with no protrusions. I elected to use the Hidden hinge and 2 zero-profile latches from Hartwell latches Part Number H-5000-2.

I can send you pictures if you wish. It is more work to form the cover around the latches.

An alternative view.....Since you have "limited fabrication experience", I'd just go fly you new airplane and see how much it REALLY bothers you in 200 hours.

Enjoy your new airplane!

Laird
+1.

I use these screw type for my builds. I like the look.

Carl

I have the Phillips screw type on the RV-6. I’ve opened and closed ‘em using thumb pressure for >20 years without a problem.

To answer your question, I have done this change myself also. It was a relatively easy change. I did it when I got back from a flight and found one of the Phillips head camlocks missing. I had the 1/4 turn bat wing locks in my inventory and decided to use them. I have now installed them as original equipment on my last two RV builds.

I have a latch, and with a tip up do not see the door until the canopy is down. That means after seat belts, shoulder harness, in-ear headset and pre-start checklist. :eek:

The pain of taking all that off getting out to latch the (spring opened) door completely cured me of that bad habit.

OK- it took 3 times, I am a slow learner. ;)

Check out the Camloc 4002 and 2600 series on Spruce. I think Van's has them as well...
Thanks - found the part numbers you provided on Spruce. Looks like figuring out which size I need could be a tricky - makes me wish I'd paid better attention in math class! :)

Enjoy your new airplane!
Not a bad idea! My son and I are putting on about 10 hours / 5 flights a week so just getting a little annoyed with needing a screwdriver to check the oil - but not a big deal in the scheme of things.

Handy tool

Get one of the key fob thingy that has several lite duty screwdriver bit sizes and put on the airplane or hangar key ring . Gonna show my age now one of these things came with the sets of Craftsman tools when they were made in the USA

I have camlocs. Had a push button on the last RV.
Assuming you check your fuel each time you check your oil then the phillips shouldn't be a big deal.

B2E921F0-0781-4EC5-A717-256A6A97032D.gif

I have camlocs. Had a push button on the last RV.
Assuming you check your fuel each time you check your oil then the phillips shouldn't be a big deal.

View attachment 32203
We each have our own routines for pre-flights. I've always checked/sumped fuel after the walk-around and oil check - don't like having anything in my hands during the walk-around or gas dripped on clothes by putting fuel sampler tube in a pocket - just my personal preference.

To answer your questions:

Dave,

The winged fasteners are from SkyBolt, P/N RV-OD1. As far as difficulty goes, you already have holes in the door which correspond with the holes below in the cowl structure. You would have to remove the existing “socket” from the cowl structure and attach the new socket. You might be able to accomplish this without disturbing the visible paint, as this business is hidden beneath the oil door itself. If this is the case it may be as easy as drilling out a few rivets, drilling a few new holes, and riveting in the new sockets. However, in the world I live in things are seldom as easy as they seem. IIRC the winged half of the fastener had a very specific hole size for the oil door to keep the fastener captured, I think maybe .25 inch, and I’d guess your fasteners are in a much larger hole. Fixing that would be a significant effort including likely affecting visible paint.

Someone suggested you give it some time and see if something more pressing pops up… that seems like good advice to me.

BTW, that’s my oil door build in your first post. I’m glad you liked it.

Cheers,

Dave,
Someone suggested you give it some time and see if something more pressing pops up… that seems like good advice to me.

BTW, that’s my oil door build in your first post. I’m glad you liked it.

Cheers,
Yep, once I realized that it wasn't just a simple swap of the thumb fasteners for the Phillips head fasteners I decided I would just live with it for a while and am guessing I will probably just get used to it. :) Nevertheless I appreciate the additional information!

Back