What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Retrofit ADS-B out

tomcostanza

Well Known Member
Greetings all. I'm building a 7A again after a long hiatus. I'm looking for some advice on implementing ADS-B out. I already have a Garmin GTX-320A transponder installed and really don't want to incur the cost of a new transponder and installation. Also the Whelen lighting kit from Van's is half installed. I have no permanent GPS. The uAvionix TailBeacon (not TailBeaconX) looks like the ideal solution, except it doesn't have a strobe. The Garmin GDL 82 looks like the 2nd best, but needs a separate GPS antenna. (Am I starting to sound like a whiner?)

So my question is, what have others done to retrofit existing avionics installations to accommodate ADS-B out?

Thanks and stay healthy.

Last edited:
I added a uAvionix Echo - and the GRT Safe-Fly GPS.
It does require adding another 'ball on a stick' antenna on the bottom of the plane, and mounting the GPS receiver antenna (I put it on the IP).
If you have a WAAS GPS already, you only need the Echo.
The Echo is both ADSB Out and In. It talks to my GRT Sport EX and my iPad via wireless network.

I also added Echo and Skyfox GPS for in/out in my -8. Already had FlyLED lights and didn’t want to lose the tail strobe. Used a Becker 4202 transponder. The GPS antenna is under the engine cowl and the little ADS-B out antenna is mounted on an inspection plate in the rt wing. It was all easy to install once I found out it does not have to be hard wired. FAA said it works first time I tried test.

uAvionix EchoUAT

With their Skyfx WAAS gps, or, I use GRT SafeFly WAAS gps. Simple to install, two antenna, (GPS up on glare shield, ADSB antenna on belly), power, ground DONE. Run the setup, go fly.

Thanks

OMG! I had forgotten how great VAF members are!
Thank you all so much. It looks like a wingtip mount for me.

Back