What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Column VA-146

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone know why only the FORWARD LEFT VA-146 bearing is trimmed on the control column? (and not both the forward bearings?)

Page 29-05 refers

Attachments

• Screenshot (56).png
    Screenshot (56).png
    100.9 KB · Views: 129
It depends on how you interpret the wording and I think they mean that side of the bearing, rather than that side of the control column. Otherwise, the instructions would say left side only of the control column? I expect that both fwd bearings need to be trimmed to avoid interference with something.
For interest, one time there was an English Major hired to work at Vans.

Otherwise, the instructions would say left side only of the control column? I expect that both fwd bearings need to be trimmed to avoid interference with something.
For interest, one time there was an English Major hired to work at Vans.

Step 5 says “trim the forward left VA-146 bearing to match the control column”

Step 5 says “trim the forward left VA-146 bearing to match the control column”

OK; I'm not sure then why the instructions do not say to trim the right side also. Maybe it will be more obvious when it is installed. Sometimes the instructions are inconsistent or assumed... or somebody else will have an insight.

Does anyone know why only the FORWARD LEFT VA-146 bearing is trimmed on the control column? (and not both the forward bearings?)

Page 29-05 refers

Did you check the RV-14 wiki to see if this has been documented already? If it’s not there, we should add the answer once it’s sorted out,

Did you check the RV-14 wiki to see if this has been documented already? If it’s not there, we should add the answer once it’s sorted out,

Yep - that’s my first call! No notes on that step. I’ve looked at a few build logs too but can’t seem to find anyone who commented on it - a couple who filed off both sides (which is what I’m leaning toward).

Edit: found the answer. (Sorry for questioning your all knowing knowledge plans writers!)
On page 36-14 when the control sticks are installed, only the left hand stick gets a bolt in the bottom hole, and the filing of the bearing is to clear the bolt head.

Now - why only one bolt on the right hand side? To aid in easy removal down the track?

I think I’ll file both now in any case. Then I can install 2 bolts if I ever want to on the right hand side. I doubt I’ll be removing my right hand stick much.

Attachments

• CD656C0D-B919-4796-AE2D-1BD6BBF579BC.jpg
    CD656C0D-B919-4796-AE2D-1BD6BBF579BC.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 136
I doubt I’ll be removing my right hand stick much.

FWIW I rarely flew my RV7 with the wing removal lever in the pax seat unless I had a “pilot” in the seat.
My wife used to always use her laptop too on long flights so another reason for stick removal.
So I wouldn’t assume you’ll never remove it. For me it was the opposite.
Cheers!

I remove the right stick for older, perhaps “larger” passengers and for some non-pilots. I use a quick disconnect pin to make it easier.

For those not aware, there is a long standing SB for the passenger stick regarding its attachment.
Not opining on what I know many people do, just pointing it out for builders out there to do their own research.

For those not aware, there is a long standing SB for the passenger stick regarding its attachment.
Not opining on what I know many people do, just pointing it out for builders out there to do their own research.

I wonder why the left stick has 2 bolts, but he right only one?

To what are you referring? I don’t see anything regarding stick attachment in the published service bulletins. :confused:

Back