What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft pax compartment heat deflector wanted

Tim Lewis

Well Known Member
I'd like to find a way to direct the aft heater air (which exits the tunnel under the pilot/copilot seat) more toward the aft of the plane. In the stock configuration, the hot air blows laterally, which seems to not warm the aft compartment as much as I'd like.

A good solution would be something simple and easily removable. Maybe a short radius 90 degree elbow that just fits inside the DL-03 heat vents, for example.

Louvered plates

I would think that simple, louvered face plates would be the way to go. That way you could direct the slits down and toward the back of the plane. Perhaps someone else has sourced such a thing already..?

I fixed this problem by plugging the corrugations in the aft bulkhead with insulating foam. In flight cold air was entering from the tailcone, so rear seat passengers had hot feet, cold heads. Stopping the cold air ‘breeze’ let the heat rise.

12V heating pads that insert between the cushion and seat cover do a lot for back seat passenger comfort.

Another way to send hot air aft from the front is a thin flat nozzle(think F-117 engine nozzles) that mounts vertically on the side of the front cockpit bulkhead / former beside the pilots knees. The trick is the transition from 2" round heater hose to a 1/2" x 6" flat nozzle.

Last edited:
Back