What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7th annual ice cream social, Inyokern CA (IYK)

AX-O

Well Known Member
Well it is that time of the year again. I turn one year older. The 7th annual ice cream social will be held at Inyokern, CA airport on March 14th from 1100-1400.

The ice cream social is just an excuse to get together, eat some free ice cream and fly. This year I will probably have "Dilemma", my Fastback, on the line for people to check out. If she is not flying by then, she will be close.

If you would like to attend, please email me at axel_alvarez "at" hotmail "dot" com Use "Ice cream social" on the subject line of the email for spam filter reasons. If not, it will end up in the "trash/recycling bin" and I won't know you are coming. The head count will be used to figure out how much supplies my wife and I need to buy. All I need is your name and the number of people attending by March 6th.

-The airport's web site is http://inyokernairport.com/

-Our preferred runway is 33.

-Runway 20 is the only runway with non-standard traffic (right pattern).

-Click 3 times on 122.8 for AWOS info.

-R-2506 is closed on the weekends. You can contact Joshua Approach on 133.65 if you wish.

-When you are in the pattern, stay West of Highway 395.

-If you are coming from the West you can the red route. If you are coming from the North/East, you can use the blue route.
IYK%2520route.JPG

Some things to remember if you are not familiar with airport operations.
-You are responsible for yourself, kids, family, etc. NO EXEPTIONS! You are there at your own risk, be vigilant around the flight line.

-Aircraft are the greatest invention of mankind however, they can also be dangerous. Approach every aircraft as if it were "ON". An encounter with a turning prop or intake can yield very bad injuries.

-DO NOT touch an aircraft unless you have the permission of the owner/pilot.

-Please leave your pets at home. No need to have your dog, cat, lizard, liger, etc. around each other, food or aircraft. If you MUST bring your pet, please have it on a leash (especially if it is a liger).

-Please make sure you dispose of your trash. If you don't, it could potentially do damage to aircraft engines/props.

New Location
Please note that this year it will be in a different location than in previous years (just north of previous location). The picture below depicts the new area. It is behind the terminal building. When you come off runway 33 or 02 on Taxiway B3, it is the building right ahead. BTW, the new location is inside a red restricted area. It is NO LONGER active. Come on in.

New%2520icream%2520social%2520location.png

Hope to see you and your family there. The only thing better than ice cream is free ice cream.

Axel and Alisha

Last edited:
If there is anyone who'd like to come (from FAR) and make an overnight weekend trip out of it, the Rosales Skypark home has several rooms available...free of charge :) Rosie & Tuppergal

Pi day 3.14159265359...

I would love to attend the free ice cream social at Inyokern, but it would be a LONG trip from Alabama even in an RV. It would be a great way to celebrate my birthday, since I, also, am one of the lucky ones to be born on Pi day...not the "pie" we eat, but the pi used in math. :)

If there is anyone who'd like to come (from FAR) and make an overnight weekend trip out of it, the Rosales Skypark home has several rooms available...free of charge :) Rosie & Tuppergal

Bump....fly-in, make a weekend of it, and stay at our place! Rosie & Tuppergal

P1010404.jpg

rosie, enjoy the party, we are way to far east, 26 30 W, :)

I know that stretch of beach!!!!! Really nice ears-picture Turbo (& ?) :) Come back out west...we miss you!!! Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
Have not had many RSVPs. Please let us know if you plan on attending. Thank you.

I'm in, about 90% sure I'll drag two other Rockets/pilots with me, and about 70% sure I'll have two additional RV's/pilots.

So I'm sure about me... could be a +4.

How's that for a vague/noncommittal answer?

Marc and Rita will be there this year. My birthday is a little later in March but we'll help you eat ice cream! Can we bring anything?

regards

Marc and Rita

Ice cream

I will do my best to attend!
My wife is out of town that weekend and I will be flying up by myself.

Normally I'd be there, but can't get the time off work this year. Hope you have fun Axel! Happy birthday!

Seems this conflicts with my spring break geology field trip most years. I'll be close by (Red Rock park, just south by 20 miles) but probably can't get away to have ice cream. Maybe next year....

Greg

Axel,

Unless the winds start howling I plan to come over from Sedona in my 7A, I will be by myself.

Randall in Sedona

This year i will have a contest. It only applies to rockets. All rockets are authomatically entered, no need to sign up.

Your N number goes into a hat when you stop by the ice cream table to "roll your own" ice cream treat. At 1200 my wife will pull an N number out of the hat and that will be the winner.

I will find the winner and give them the good news.

The prize is that i get to fly around in the winner's rocket doing multiple "go arounds" so the winner can see what his/her airplanes looks like in the air.

I am a nice guy like that :D

Last edited:
This year i will have a contest. It only applies to rockets. All rockets are authomatically entered, no need to sign up.

Your N number goes into a hat when you stop by the ice cream table to "roll your own" ice cream treat. At 1200 my wife will pull an N number out of the hat and that will be the winner.

I will find the winner and give them the good news.

The prize is that i get to fly around in the winner's rocket doing multiple "go arounds" so the winner can see what his/her airplanes looks like in the air.

Wish I could make it down Axel. Even in a rocket its a bit of a trip for an ice cream though. Not sure I could get that one past the boss. Have a great Bday.
Ryan

This year i will have a contest. It only applies to rockets.

...I have not seen my Rocket fly... Gosh, I hope I win!

Btw, it seems we have another RV and a Glassair in with my group. These two will likely arrive separately, but it is three more mouths to consider. This makes a total of 10 with my group

Also, we're planning a 1200 arrival, and depending on traffic, it may be a 5 ship if we can figure out how to work the SNJ in.

Last edited:

Bump....the door is open :) Rosie

Wow:eek: what a great turn out. The airport was full of planes. I want to thank you all for spending your hard erned cash and time to come see us. We had a great time.

My appologgies for not being able to share alot of time with everyone. My wife and i were running around trying to keep things going.

We got rid of everything this time around. In fact, my wife had to go out and get some more supplies at the end.

Thank you an see you again next year. The fastback will be flying for sure.

If you have pics please post them. I did not get to walk around and look.

What a great event! Thanks for the hospitality! Enjoyed meeting everyone and trying in a couple models of RV

Photos?

Hey Team,

I can't wait to come down to this fly-in ... looks like a blast and a neat place to from HAF.

But, my ride is still in pieces on the bench in the shop. How 'bout positing some motivational photos (selfies with Ligers and tropical beaches, notwithstanding) for us rivet pounders?

Awsome, simply awsome !

Love to see people having fun in these planes, soon it will be me I hope. Thanks for the great pics and so nice to have people to host such events.

Back