What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chronically Unlit Tower

Low Pass

Well Known Member
Friend
About 5 miles south of a popular regional airport in Houston, there's a 1000 ft + tall radio antenna that is poorly or just totally unlit. It's been this way almost since built, 19 years ago.

Well, the last year or so, it's been completely dark. Not one light working.

Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get this corrected? Lots of planes travel this vicinity traversing the south side of the Houston area, and someone's going to find it one night.

Telemundo was the owner up until recently, when it was apparently sold per FCC records. Sent an email to the new registered owner, but there's not a high likelihood that they'll care any more with my email than they have the last 15 yrs.

Suggestions appreciated.

Bryan

Why just complain to the owner? Report it to the FAA and FCC. if I understand the rules correctly, the FAA will issue a NOTAM and the FCC can levy a fine.

Notams have come and gone for years. (Not that they really do anything for night flying safety.) Will see what the new owner says, if anything. Then call the FCC. Hoping someone who actually gas dealt with a similar condition might offer up comment.

feds

This is a safety of flight issue. They are not in compliance. Report to faa in DC. They are probably too cheap to hire someone to climb it and get it fixed. A fine may motivate them.

Why would knowing about the location of an unlit tower not have an effect on night flying safety? Just curious.

Who reads and reconciles every one of the numerous notams for cranes, unlit towers, obstacles, etc., etc. when travelling? Who reads and reconciles them and forgets one? Having a 1160-ft agl tower unlit for years near the third largest city in the country is negligent and may end up killing me or one of my buddies. This the point, not the effectiveness of the FAA notam system.

My question was, what method/action might get the tower safely lit like the dozens in Missouri City and others areas of the region that are safely lit? I'll try calling someone in Washington. Maybe no one ever has.

Update -

Well, learned a couple of things. There is one attentive, polite guy at the FCC who takes calls. After 5-10 mins on hold, pressing "1" for English, I got a person. He seemed very pleased I had the owner name and contact info, and tower details. Also seemed surprised that the tower had been poorly/not lit for so long. Now, we'll see what happens.

Maybe they could get those storm trooper guys with the M4s and black Suburbans to go check on it?? They move pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I lived under the shadow of that tower for so many years, and it always bothered me as well - the lights never worked, or there'd be one strobe working.

I am curious to hear how your quest turns out - maybe there was a simple solution all along, and we have all lived with the hazard because we didn't' pursue it.

(I agree that continuous, repetitive NOTAMS simply fail to get noticed. We used to have a NOTAM we'd uplink to the Shuttle crew every morning, on every flight, that a particular field in our catalog was "not recommended" as an emergency landing site for political reasons. After about ten years of reading that NOTAM every day, I asked why we didn't just take the field out of our catalog - and they did! I should have asked sooner....)

A Cessna 170 buddy of mine near Houston is retired from a career of climbing towers to change light bulbs. I get weak in the knees just talking to him... Maybe he's up for one last climb...:D

Does your state have a Div or Dept of Aeronautics??

You may get better/faster results from a state agency than a federal one.

A couple of phone calls and/or emails to the FAA, FSS, and the FCC should do the trick if you are willing to be proactive.

Towers must be monitored automatically or checked visually every 24 hours. Hefty fines are the penalty. I'll bet you can get some action quickly if you are proactive.

http://www.pillsburylaw.com/siteFil...AdvisoryFCCEnforcementMonitor120111_final.pdf

http://radiomagonline.com/tutorials_tips/engineers_notebook/reporting-tower-light-outage-faa/

Good info coming in - thanks!! I'll also check with the state. As for the FAA/Notam, it's up. But I'm guessing the owner has them on speed dial as I've seen it notam'd many, many times.

And I've seen that climbing video. Not so bad, if you're sure you're not going to get a cramp or some rare hand paralysis thing!

I’m familiar with this tower. I have lived in the shadows of the tower for the last 8 years and agree with Paul; the lights seldom if EVER have worked on all levels. Not to mention that the tower is approximately 1 mile from the center line of the (RNAV) GPS approach. Maybe we give the owner a reasonable time to repair. If they are complacent (as previous owners) then we publish the owners info here in the forum and turn the VAF loose on them! “Just Sayin”

As most others have said, the fines are pretty bad for not monitoring and maintaining the lights on a tower. The company I work for owns 13 towers that we are responsible for. We are required to 1) monitor the lights continuously, either visually or electronically, 2) notify the FAA within 24 hours of a lighting failure.

There is some gray area in how long the lights can be out, but a NOTAM should exist at all times the lights are out.

The best option I can tell you is to call the DC FAA number and report the FAA site ID (located on a sign at the base of the tower). If the FAA receives enough complaints they forward the lack of lighting to the FCC who actually levies the fines against the tower owner.

There should also be a FCC tower ID at the base of the tower which you can contact the FCC about it.

Basically, if you keep on the FAA/FCC they should be fining the **** out of the owner and that should motivate him to keep the tower lit. It sure does for us. :)

As most others have said, the fines are pretty bad for not monitoring and maintaining the lights on a tower. The company I work for owns 13 towers that we are responsible for. We are required to 1) monitor the lights continuously, either visually or electronically, 2) notify the FAA within 24 hours of a lighting failure.

There is some gray area in how long the lights can be out, but a NOTAM should exist at all times the lights are out.

The best option I can tell you is to call the DC FAA number and report the FAA site ID (located on a sign at the base of the tower). If the FAA receives enough complaints they forward the lack of lighting to the FCC who actually levies the fines against the tower owner.

There should also be a FCC tower ID at the base of the tower which you can contact the FCC about it.

Basically, if you keep on the FAA/FCC they should be fining the **** out of the owner and that should motivate him to keep the tower lit. It sure does for us. :)
Thanks David! Good to know we're doing about the best that can be done. We have the tower registration number and have passed it along to the FCC.

Which airport?, I fly in and around Houston and have been going to dwh a night recently. Just curious so I can keep an eye out.

Update on UNLIT tower: Houston Area-KLVJ

ALL HOUSTON AREA PILOTS AND TRANSIT PILOTS

Please be advised that the 1121?AGL tower located approximately 3 miles off the end of runway 32 at KLVJ is TOTALLY UNLIT. There have been written and verbal communications with the FCC registered owner. One of our members spoke with Mr. Crewell (who claims he is a pilot); he indicated that it would be 30-45 days before they would be able to replace the top beacon and strobe. It would be another 6 months before all strobes were operational. The reason given for these delays are due to financial limitations! The FAA regional ?obstructions manager? said the only action the FAA can take is to issue a NOTAM (this has been done).
The FCC has the obligation and authority to enforce compliance and levy punitive damages for non-compliance.
In the interest of fellow HOUSTON AREA pilots and passenger LIVES we are urging ALL members to take a minute and contact the following:
The owner of record:
1120 Tower Corporation,
Att. Mr. Ted Crewell
1835 Algoa Friendswood RD.
Alvin TX 77511
Phone 409-925-4702
[email protected]

Official site for FCC registration of this tower:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=613439

Register your complaint with the FCC:
https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000D

Please take a few minutes to voice your opinion.

The life you save MAY BE YOURS!

Bump: Please File a Complaint

In an effort to "encourage" resolution to this deadly threat, please file a complaint with the FCC. A call to the owner doesn't hurt either.

Back