What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eagle's Nest -3 / On display at Space Center Houston

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
Eagle's Nest -3 on display at JSC's Space Center Houston main entrance!

As part of Clear Creek ISD's 2013 gala breakfast being held at Space Center Houston and honoring selected school volunteers and community partnerships, Eagle's Nest -3 was invited to participate and the school district arranged for Eagle's Nest -3 to be displayed at the main entrance. Clear Springs HS is scheduled to begin their second Eagle's Nest Project in the Fall, and future display dates at Space Center Houston are already in the making.

SpaceCenterHouston_2_zpsdlcw8x4b.jpg

Aside -
Eagle's Nest -3 is also known as the "Elder One" and was affectionately named by the build-students after their instructor and project leader, Mr. Roger Elder. Mr. Elder, aside from being a submariner and a really great guy, is also a certified PLTW aerospace engineering instructor.

Last edited:
Looks fantastic! Looking forward to the day when we can do something similar! Our kids are eager to get started!

Thanks to Ernie and Dave

I have to say that this programs' resounding success is largely due the dedicated efforts of Ernie Butcher and Dave Grover. These men have given a year of their life to this program and untold other resources.
All............while being VERY HUMBLE!

Hat's off to this program and the ones WHO MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Eagle's Nest - Returning to JSC's Space Center Houston

Is it still on display? If so, how long will it be there?

Regrettably... no. Because we were under a severe weather forecast today with possible hale, we moved the project back to the school - and just in time!!! Just 10 minutes after we moved the fuselage inside the school shop area and closed the door, it turned dark as night outside and rain began coming down sideways.

The good news is... Space Center Houston's president, Mr. Richard Allen, Jr., said he would like to have EN-3 return for display and on a regular basis. Clear Springs HS will be building a second Eagle's Nest Project beginning in the Fall, and we're working through the details of how to best display the combined projects. The plan now is to display the completed EN-3 project several times during the year, staff the display with build-students from both the completed and under-construction projects, and to also display unfinished assemblies from the under-construction project.

Thanks for the response. Please let us know when it will be on display again. I'm interested in seeing the RV-12 first hand as I'd like to possibly build one in the future.

Thanks for the response. Please let us know when it will be on display again. I'm interested in seeing the RV-12 first hand as I'd like to possibly build one in the future.

You might contact Ernie directly. A visit might be arranged. Or you could sign up for our newsletter as I will try to get the dates it will be on display out ahead of time. Send me a PM and I can put you on the NL list. Anyone who wants to see this airplane can count on seeing it at AirVenture, along with two other Eagle's Nest RV-12s. They should be easy to find this year.

Ernie is being a bit modest here. He was also given the "Volunteer of the Year" award for the entire school district for his work at Clear Springs High School. I know how much work he has put into this, and the award has to be well deserved.

While Ernie and other ENP mentors do put in lots of hours, I have yet to hear one complaint. This is one of the most enjoyable experiences possible. The excitement that comes from building an airplane is multiplied over all those involved, and their is no excitement like that from a kid. It is something to behold.

Bob

I have to say that this programs' resounding success is largely due the dedicated efforts of Ernie Butcher and Dave Grover. These men have given a year of their life to this program and untold other resources.
All............while being VERY HUMBLE!

Hat's off to this program and the ones WHO MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Ernie's ok but that Dave Grover is kind of dodgy. :D

Karl

Ernie, you're tha' man!! Setting up the RV-1 corporation, now this project. Great job!

Last edited:
Back