What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two "mystery" Wires

JohnF

Well Known Member
I have hung the engine and am about done with the wiring associated with that chore. But I have two wires that I can't figure out what to do with.

Under the ignition module where the shielded trigger wire bundle 'emerges' there are two yellow wires with slip fittings on them...they are fairly large wires and I still haven't found what connects to them.

Can you recall those two? If so can you give me a clue what connects to them?

I would apprediate any help.

John

Mystery wires

Marty, I am not sure...those wires on 46-14 are referred to as over 20-inches long, but the ones that have me puzzled are only about 3-inches long where they come out of the black unit adjactent to the shielded trigger bundle.
I posed this querry to Van's also...and did a 'grand' search of all Adobe documents (all updates I get from Van's are stored on my computer as Adobe documents), and the 'grand' search will look through every Adobe document for a search term...like "Yellow" but no joy.

thanks for the cite anyway.

Mystery wires

Marty, the more I think about it, the more I think you are right..I am at home now but begining to wonder if that 26-inch pair of wires to the rectifier might be somehow curled up under the black hood where the 3-inches of them do finally emerge...tomorrow at the hangar I am going to gently tug on the two wires and see if more will come out...the fittings on the ends of the wires that I do see look like they should fit the rectifier, and the "Giallo" markings on the rectifier do mean yellow or a similiar shade as I can determine.

More to follow.

Thanks again ...John

John - they sound like the generator wires which go into the Rectifier - page 46-14, step 1

Make sure they have the correct connector on them. The early kits had yellow wire connectors would not "lock" into the rectifier. Install them per the plans and give them the "tug" test. If they pull out with gentle pulling then you don't have the correct connectors.

Last edited:
Mystery Wires

I am convinced the 3-inch yellow wires I find coming from the area of the alternator are the ends of what should have been a 26-inch long pair of wires that should have gone to the rectifier module. I tried to pull on the ends, hoping that the missing length was somehow curled up under the plenum,but no joy. I don't want to pull too hard in case I should damage something.

I sent a querry to Van's but have heard nothing back yet, and will telephone them this afternoon. I hope I don't have to take everything apart to see what is going on...that would be a week's work wasted.

More as I unravel this darn thing.

John

"Mystery Wires"

After a lot of thought and a conversation with the builers assistance folks at Vans I believe the only solution (apart from removing most everything put on the engine since it was first bolted on) is to cut a hole in the shroud to see what's going on and perhaps enlarge the "u-shaped" cutout in the edge of the shroud where the wire partially emerges and fish the thing out. Let's hope that works...I'll update the results tomorrow in hope this might help some other poor soul.

John

John - here is a pic of my engine out of the box. I believe the grey wire coil contains the 2 yellow wires from the generator.
opp9vn.jpg
[/IMG]

Mystery Wire" Problem Solved

With help from Van's folks, and from this forum I finally resolved why I could not get more than 3-inches of the alternator wires to emerge from under the edge of the shourd.

The stainless braid shielded cable (the 26-inch one) was under the shroud and in a tight bend, enough so that it created sort of a 'lump' that resisted being pulled out.

I used a Dremmel to slightly enlarge where that cable's end of two yellow 3-inch wires did come out, and was able then to pull the entire length out.

As a CAUTION for those who have not yet fitted the cooling shroud, I would say be very careful to dress the alternator cable, AND the smaller black two-wire cable that carries the tachometer output, well to the rear of the shroud and pulled their entire length toward the aft before sealing things with
RTV.

I learned the hard way.

Thanks for the help fellows.

John

Back