What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Must Stops between Laughlin, NV and Marshall, TX?

Zazoos

Well Known Member
Visiting family in Laughlin, NV and will be headed back to Marshall, TX (Northeast TX) soon. Curious if there is any interesting airports or sights we should try to catch on our way home.

Thank you for any travel tips.

Sedona, AZ red rock country is gorgeous on the ground or in the air, great airport restaurant

Belen, NM KBRG is a nice fuel stop, courtesy car to restaurants nearby

Lots of high desert, turbulence, carry survival gear, but you probably know about that already!

IIRC, Clovis had no motels near the airport and $50 for a car overnight. Or maybe it was another airport, don't remember.

Except for the bumps, should be a fun trip!

If I'm heading that direction from SoCal, I usually have breakfast at Payson, AZ (good restaurant) and then stop at St. Johns, AZ (KSJN) for cheap fuel (no food or anything else) before heading into the Texas or Kansas area.

Last edited:
Trent,
If you are coming by Lubbock area I would recommend the following:

KLBB has the Silent Wings Museum featuring the training of glider pilots from WWII;
F49 Slaton has the Texas Air Museum, a good stop for fuel also, let me know about a tour so I can arrange that for you.

Jon Fleming

Cheap fuel just south of you at A20, then down the road, Holbrook had no fuel last time I was there, Taylor Az or St John’s are better choices.
Be careful for the restricted airspace by FLG, also their Delta airspace goes up to 9500 feet, so make sure you clear that. Check out the Winslow crater on your flight! I think it’s on the 243 radial at 12 miles.. you can’t miss it!

Attachments

• BED69CE8-F13F-4B7A-850A-76F380BBEC99.jpg
    BED69CE8-F13F-4B7A-850A-76F380BBEC99.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 141
Trent,
If you are coming by Lubbock area I would recommend the following:

KLBB has the Silent Wings Museum featuring the training of glider pilots from WWII;
F49 Slaton has the Texas Air Museum, a good stop for fuel also, let me know about a tour so I can arrange that for you.

Jon Fleming

Jon, I stopped at Slaton while I was delivering a Zenith750 a few weeks ago.. great guys and a lot of cool things there! Did I meet you? On the way out, the winds were howling and the guys watched my departure, so at 500 feet, I performed slow flight into the wind and backed it up!!

Really liked the silent wing museum at KLBB. Ended up there by random chance and was totally impressed.

Oliver

Hello Tom,
I was not there, but then again we have had a lot of high winds, except on the day to honor some members that had passed away recently. Let me know if you are headed this way again. I am glad you liked the air museum they have a great collection of aircraft and artifacts.
Jon

Side note: One of the gentlemen that died was a retired colonel with the air force and we flew together some. He told of a time when crossing from Italy back to England, in F4's, that the French denied airspace so they diverted around. He was flying wing and looked at the lead pilot who was head down then head up. He keyed the mic and asked "where we going?". Lead came back with " I don't know its like a hog looking at a wristwatch".

Thank you for all the great suggestions. We did get to make a stop at Sedona.
Image the wife took at A20

rvbullhead.jpg

What does it take to land my RV at Spaceport America (9NM9)? I see it is listed as private. I see it is inside two restricted airspaces.

Dunno. We ended up overflying it once during a IAH-SFO leg, by the time I realized what it was it was too late to get my camera out. Never been able to get near it since.

Back