What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

preheat for superior cold air sump

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone know of a good pre-heat solution for the superior cold air sump?

7b535a1a9bd2dd82fa2079bb1383b174_f33.jpg

There's not a lot of flat surface here to stick a the heating pad on.

Can you get a hotstrip near the corner of the pan? Aluminum conducts heat pretty well, so the exact location of the strip isn't critical.

There is plenty of room on the back (vertical face) of the sump (firewall side). I have two Reiff Hot-Strip heaters mounted vertically here on my Superior cold air sump (ECI IO-360) in an RV-7A.

Preheat for superior cold air sump.

Hi Mickey:

Tanis Aircraft Products made me a probe that goes in the oil drain hole (where the screen is).

I do know that it is a reduced wattage so that it does not burn the oil, I had to wait for a while for them to develop it. I also have the heating bolts that go on the air intake tubes. This package works very well for me, this is my third winter.

I was working with Dirk Ellis from Tanis, good people.

Terry

I used a dipstick oil heater. I made an adapter to hold it and guide it. I plugged it in after I put it in. I unplugged it before removing it. It got the oil nice and warm. Cheap and portable.

Thanks for the suggestions

All really great suggestions - thanks gentlemen!

there are a lot of different size stick-on sizes made by katz. i used a larger and 2 smaller sizes on a jabiru. they really stick well. had one on a rounded toyota oil pan over 300,000 miles and it never budged. probably 10-20% cost of a heater that says ''aviation'' on it.
i have always stayed away from a remotely controlled heater with any fans or red hot elements. found too many mouse nests in places i would never expect and fans that didn't want to turn when current turned on.

Mickey, made one myself... went to the nearest MMM, bought what they call Ceramic Heater, and designed/built a 2024T3 case around it.
A picture is on my website, see http://www.aerofun.ch/falco-2-album.html and scroll thru the pictures on the bottom album to find it hung up on a previous aircraft.
Placed on the floor for the RV, hose inserted into the cowling exit and leave it running for a minimum of one hour; heats the oil, the engine, and accessories in a gentle way. One could even install a remote control to have it start with a cell phone :)

+1 for Reiff system

I?ve got a Reiff standard system that works great. As mentioned before, there?s room for the hot strip on the aft face of the Superior sump. Hot bands and strip heater install in about an hour. You have to wait longer for the epoxy to cure.

I have also had great service from the Katz product. They offer dozens of shapes and power - most at 30-50 bucks. There is little need for the dedicated "aviation" tax - it's just a stick on pad heater! Google is your friend here.

Not sure of the air gap between the Superior sump and the induction plennum, but there might be good real estate for a thin pad between them.

Back