What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TN & NC Airparks

Omega232Devils

Well Known Member
The wife and I are taking a trip east over Labor Day weekend to look for land for a future retirement spot. We have a few airparks in mind, but looking for any advice/info into the places we intend to see below or any additional places we should see while we are out there.

The 5 parks we are looking at are:

1) Whifferdill in Chapmansboro, TN

1a) Deerfield Park (TN44) in La Follette, TN

2) Big South Fork in Oneida, TN

3) Hensley in Chuckey, TN

4) Long Island in Catawba, NC

5) Lake Norman in Mooresville, NC

6) Gold Hill in NC

We may not make it to NC on this trip, but open to any and all information in the TN or NC.

We are looking for land to build a future home.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
Check out Gold Hill Airpark (NC25)

I may be a bit biased but I think our place is a little piece of heaven. :)

Whiteplains Airpark SC99

Like Ron, I am also biased...
Come visit us in South Carolina

TN77

I'll put a plug in for Whifferdill. I've been here for 8 years and plan on staying. That being said, you have to want to live in the country. You can call me at 615&294*1573 for more info.

Thanks guys

Thanks for the info so far guys.

I haven't forgotten Gold Hill, beautiful spot, I will add it to the list. May not make it on this trip as we are focusing more on TN, but I am planning a second trip to explore NC and SC parks. I know there are some nice ones there.

Captain, yeah it is getting about time to rejoin the Flash Mob Squadron. Hopefully my membership is still good, don't want to go through that initiation again. Ha ha.

Steve, great to hear. Are you gonna be around over Labor Day weekend? Not exactly sure which day we will be at Whifferdill as we are still working the route.

Anyone have info on Piney Creek in Altamont, TN?

Dan

Last edited:
Labor Day weekend

So far, yes I'll be here Labor Day weekend. Presently we have no plans from 8/31 thru 9/13, but I never know when the boss may come with a new plan. I assume you have visited Whifferdill dot com. If not it has a few pictures and a plat. I'm on lot 30 and the picture of the RV-7 is mine.

Awesome!

The commander of ops (Russki) will determine your acceptance pending some debriefing and possible re-training.

As you know, I will vouch strongly in your behalf!

;) CJ

There are a couple more also

I live in the middle of that region, and have lived at Marchmont Plantation (6NC8), and now live on Twin Lakes (8A7) which isnt really an airpark. There are a couple more in the area, as well as existing homes on others for sale. Check out Miller Airpark (Mooresville NC)and Hawks Landing (Mocksville NC). Long Island is nice as is is Gold Hill. You have a mix of paved and grass, not sure what your preference is. If your in the area, your welcome to stop by and chat with me and other local RVers, and homeowners in those mentioned places. I have hangar space and overnight accomodations if you need, and I'm around. Another cool TN option is Deerfield just north of Knoxsville..very nice place with Golf,Lake,and airport.

Thanks for the info

To all that have replied and PM'd, we really appreciate the info. We have added a few more spots in TN during our trip and it appears we are going to have to schedule another trip later in the fall to look at southern NC and into SC. Please keep any information coming.

I have been asked, so I will provide our 'wants' to aid in the info. I didn't initially list them because I didn't want to limit the info we were getting.

1) Our 'perfect' spot would be on a lake, with boat/fishing access and no further than a taxi to the runway. I know this is very rare, but this is why we dream right?

2) Grass or paved. Short answer = either. I currently have a 6A so paved would be better, but my plan is to build a 14, so grass is great too and will not be as much of a concern. (I have landed on plenty of grass fields in my 6A, so I am not worried about that. Plus one frozen lake! )

3) We prefer a lot of land in order to build a house. However, if we find the perfect spot, but with a house already on it, we may have to concede. Again, why we dream!:D

Captain/V-lad,
Glad to see my membership is still valid. I wonder if this is because I am going to establish a new base of operations in the South East for Mob members to fly in and crash anytime!!!! I would like to think it is my winning personality, but let's be honest! :cool:

Dan

Visited Deerfield Park, TN44, just east of KJAU and 40 north of Knoxville. They had a fly-in a couple of years ago. Nice place.

TN and NC Airparts

Dan, please take pics and great notes. My wife retired last month and I can retire any time, and we are thinking along the same lines as you and your misses, so I hope you report back with what you find -- help me limit my search some.

Thank you, and enjoy your flight.

Robert
RV7

Visited Deerfield Park, TN44, just east of KJAU and 40 north of Knoxville. They had a fly-in a couple of years ago. Nice place.

We have added Deerfield Park to the list and will stop there after Whifferdill and before Big South Fork. What were your impressions? I have heard amazing things about Norris lake. PM me if you would like.

Thanks,

Dan

We have added Deerfield Park to the list and will stop there after Whifferdill and before Big South Fork. What were your impressions? I have heard amazing things about Norris lake. PM me if you would like.

Thanks,

Dan

Beautiful place. I did not stay long. I did have to pop over to the other airport for fuel. It was easy to get into and out of.

on the ramp
riunuu.jpg

Whiteplains Airpark SC99

Dan, my wife had several requirements prior to our moving to Whiteplains from Atlanta. So I feel your pain, took almost 10 years to find this place.

Her requirements were:
1. Close to shopping
2. Easy access to quality health care
3. Close to a catholic church
4. Had to be a real neighborhood
5. Close to the beach but not too close to be a problem with hurricanes.

Go visit our blog at: http://whiteplainscommunity.blogspot.com/ for a good aerial of the airpark.

To all that have replied and PM'd, we really appreciate the info. We have added a few more spots in TN during our trip and it appears we are going to have to schedule another trip later in the fall to look at southern NC and into SC. Please keep any information coming.

I have been asked, so I will provide our 'wants' to aid in the info. I didn't initially list them because I didn't want to limit the info we were getting.

1) Our 'perfect' spot would be on a lake, with boat/fishing access and no further than a taxi to the runway. I know this is very rare, but this is why we dream right?

Whiteplains is 2.5 miles south of the largest lake in South Carolina, Lake Murray. Several hangar only owners keep there aircraft here and live on the lake.

2) Grass or paved. Short answer = either. I currently have a 6A so paved would be better, but my plan is to build a 14, so grass is great too and will not be as much of a concern. (I have landed on plenty of grass fields in my 6A, so I am not worried about that. Plus one frozen lake! )

Whiteplains has a 3000 ft paved runway with pilot operated lighting and VASI

3) We prefer a lot of land in order to build a house. However, if we find the perfect spot, but with a house already on it, we may have to concede. Again, why we dream!:D

Currently there are 4 houses for sale with either, no hangar, stand alone hangar, or attached to your house hangar. Lots to choose from.

Captain/V-lad,
Glad to see my membership is still valid. I wonder if this is because I am going to establish a new base of operations in the South East for Mob members to fly in and crash anytime!!!! I would like to think it is my winning personality, but let's be honest! :cool:

Dan

Dan, my wife had several requirements prior to our moving to Whiteplains from Atlanta.

Steve,
Sorry for the late reply. Whiteplains is on my list of parks to visit on the next trip. We will head back later this fall or early spring to look at NC & SC with access to Charlotte.

Thanks again for the information.

Dan

Finalizing details

Thanks again for everyone who has posted information, sent me PMs, and emails with information. It is greatly appreciated. We are finalizing our plan now and getting excited for the trip. We have crossed a few airparks off the list based on location and accessibility to a larger city. As much as I would love to fully retire at this stage, I feel it is very doubtful. So having access to a city for work would be great.

Our current plan has us looking at:

Tennessee:
1) Whifferdill
2) Riley Creek
3) Hensley

-and-

North Carolina:
1) Lake Norman Airpark (very few lots available, so any additional info/contacts is greatly appreciated.
2) Long Island Airpark

We didn't think we were going to make it to NC this trip, but thought it smart to take BSF and Deerfield off the list as they are too remote at this stage. If anyone has any information on the above parks (or any not listed), please pass it along. If anyone lives at the parks above and wants to say hello while we are there, send me a PM and I will let you know when we will be in your area. It would be great to meet a resident.

Thanks all,

Dan

Dan,
I can put you in touch with folks in both Lake Norman as well as Long Island Airpark. Send me a PM if you want to get in touch. I have lived in this region for 35 yrs, and can fill you in on commutes to all the major cities around, as well as the other local airparks.

Final itinerary

Ok, final itinerary is set.

Saturday 3rd:
Whifferdill
Big South Fork
Deerfield (if time allows)

Sunday 4th:
Hensley
Lake Norman Airpark

Monday 5th:
Long Island Airpark

We are looking forward to it. If anyone who lives at any of the parks listed above sees some strange people walking around, please stop to say hello.

Thanks for all the help and information everyone has provided.

Dan

Dan,
I forgot to mention in my PM I also have a friend at Deerfield (actually my friends dad) with a -6 ,so if you need a contact for there I can likely get it as well. If you know what time you will be at Long Island, shoot me a text and I may zip over. I need to see my buddy over there anyway.

We are back!

Thanks for all the advice guys. We had a very successful trip and learned a lot about airparks in TN and NC. Thanks to everyone who passed on gouge and contact info, and thanks to everyone we met along the way.

I am trying to get my head above water, then I will do a full write up for the trip and answer any questions. To those who have emailed and PM'd for information, I promise I will get to them as soon as I can.

Dan

Back