What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS 480 & SL-30 DILEMMA

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello Gents

I'm in the process of installing a GNS-480 in my RV-4 as a supplement to my already installed SL-30 and I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands.

When reading the installation manual, it is mentioned that the GNS-480 has a built-in diplexer as does the SL-30 and that an external diplexer is not required if using a single Nav antenna but to use a splitter instead..

I know what a diplexer is ( I had already bought one before I read the book...lesson learned:-(.... ) but have no idea what is a splitter is and where to get one..:confused:

Do they look like a splitter like we used to split a cable tv to two different tv but at a differernt frequency??

Your expertise is welcome

Thanks

Bruno

Great, thanks Mark, much appreciated..

Cheers

Bruno
----------------------------------------
P.S:UPDATE

Mark

I just had a look at the Diplexer I've already have and it is a Comant CI 1125 which has been replaced by the Rami AV-585 Antenna splitter that you mentioned above so it looks like I'm good to go with what I have..;-)

Last edited:
P.S:UPDATE

Mark

I just had a look at the Diplexer I've already have and it is a Comant CI 1125 which has been replaced by the Rami AV-585 Antenna splitter that you mentioned above so it looks like I'm good to go with what I have..;-)

No, you need a straight one into two splitter. Since both radios have internal diplexers ( which split out the vor/loc at about 110 MHz in one line, and the GS at 330 MHz in another) you need to feed vor and gs into one line to each radio.

Hi Bob

Ok I'll tried to find one of the beast somewhere..:rolleyes:

I thought I was doing great..:eek:

Bruno

This is what you need

Bruno,

Sorry, I have not returned your email. I am on my last vacation and been very busy. I will respond later this week.

Anyway, what you need is one of these.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/avpages/garmin_11-17819.php?clickkey=20097

I found one on eBay for about $70 years ago when I put in two SL30’s but removed it when I sold my second SL30.

Here is the same as the one at ACS on eBay now but $80 cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125028039314?hash=item1d1c407a92:g:VWAAAOSwaqBhprKz

Brian

Hi Brian

Nice to hear from you, hoping all is well..

I just check on SteinAir and they have them for $85 ( With shipping, handling and exchange, it is almost double once it gets here..) but I'll keep looking around here ( no rush ) to see if I find one cheap and if not I'll go with Stein as it is the cheapest I've seen so far

Enjoy the rest of your vacation, we'll talk later

Cheers

Bruno

Back