What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping an RV

Mconner7

Well Known Member
I have a friend trying to ship his -10, he contacted Stewart but they are vague about when it will ship. I spoke to another -10 owner yesterday who traveled 1000 miles to disassemble his -10 and wait on Stewart to load it. They had given him a “it won’t be before date” but after almost three weeks waiting he went home. He was very disappointed that they would not firm up a date. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there an alternative shipper?

With the disruption of just about every business caused by COVID-19, I would be inclined to schedule a week free of anything else and make a road trip to do the transport myself. A trailer with some careful planning will get the job done. My RV-9A was just over 1000 miles away. It took 3 days. First day to drive there, second day to load, third day to drive home and unload. Wings and HS along with a few other things are in the wooden crate under the fuselage. The van was loaded up also.

Attachments

• 20638899_10209132921260198_4580464348683668580_n.jpg
    20638899_10209132921260198_4580464348683668580_n.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Similar to David, we drove 2400 miles last month in 3 days. Plan ahead for how to pack everything. It took nearly a full day to load the trailer. Lots of packing blankets, lots of 3" screws, and at least 2 rolls of pallet wrap.

Attachments

• IMG_6065.jpg
    IMG_6065.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 241
I personally have had only great experiences with Stewart Transport and I have heard the same from many, many other people... It's a small family owned company that specializes in shipping kit car and airplane kits straight to your house. Heck, they have even been known to even help you roll kit parts from the street and into your shop/garage. They don't have hundreds of trucks, so you do have to sometimes wait for them to work out your TO/FROM location routing. As far as other companies, they may exist, but I don't know about other options. If your friend wants to look at other companies, make sure to confirm if they will deliver to a residential address or if you will have to pick up at a terminal. If they will ship to a residence, make sure to ask about the extent of unloading assistance they will or won't provide.

Last edited:
Back