What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ultra Newbie Question

agfly

I'm New Here
I'm a pilot since 1985. I've always thought about doing one of these... ordered the toolbox kit to verify to myself I can do it. Worked around tools all my life.

NEWBIE question: I've got a compressor, and a bunch of tools, but I've never done solid rivets. Do I get a mechanical squeezer ala Cleveland or a pneumatic 3x gun? I mean - this is still in the "gestation" stage for me, and they're both pricey. What do you'uns recommend as "introduction to dimple, solid rivet" ?

You definitely need a 3x rivet gun. Rivets need to be close to an edge to get a mechanical squeezer on them. For example, theres no practical way to rivet the skins on with a squeezer.

A mechanical squeezer is well worth the money. It's a super convenient tool and really easy to get consistently good rivets, so I use one whenever practical, a hand operated one will work fine for -3 rivets. If you have a strong grip, you can us it for the -4's as well.

You're also going to need a back rivet set and plate for the skin to stiffener rivets on the rudder, depending on which model you decide to build.

Oh, and a small tungsten bucking bar is awesome.

Tools - used

I'm a pilot since 1985. I've always thought about doing one of these... ordered the toolbox kit to verify to myself I can do it. Worked around tools all my life.

NEWBIE question: I've got a compressor, and a bunch of tools, but I've never done solid rivets. Do I get a mechanical squeezer ala Cleveland or a pneumatic 3x gun? I mean - this is still in the "gestation" stage for me, and they're both pricey. What do you'uns recommend as "introduction to dimple, solid rivet" ?

I recommend you keep an eye open here (classified section, but they go fast) and other online groups for tools that some sell off after their build. If you havent started yet, you have time to find a few of the tools you will need. I didn't sell mine and don't recommend it since I have continued to use them for small projects and a subsequent build, but you can save 20 to 50% of some tools used by others. Eg, squeezers, dies, shears, and rivet guns.

Thanks Terry & Mike - I can tell ya, that speedy reply already makes me feel better about this idea. Looking forward to joining the true VAF in the future.

Welcome to VAF

Andy, welcome to VAF:D

The prior responses are solid, a squeezer is really nice but limited range it can work in.

I have both a pneumatic and a hand squeezer and use the hand unit 95% of the time when riveting. I prefer the pneumatic for dimpling.

I have a neighbor who is the opposite, uses his pneumatic whenever he can.

You should find a way to try both and find out what fits your need and style.

And, yes you do need a rivet gun.

I bought the Tatco squeezer from brown tool. Then on eBay, I ended up with two more of the same squeezers. I love having all three of the same Tatco, I keep different yokes so I don’t have to change yokes, I just grab the other squeezer. I also ended up with two used pneumatic squeezers, same thing, I keep different yokes on them. I have both a 2x and a 3x gun. I use the 3x for everything.I just turn down the air for the -3 rivets.
Look for deals. I originally bought two micro countersink cutter cages for like $40 each, then on eBay, I found 10 cages for $40. Now I have a dozen with different cutter all set up. If you buy your tools new and decide it isn’t for you, you’ll be able to recoup about half your money. If you buy them used then sell out, you’ll probably break even.

The main squeeze looks nice, and shares yokes with the pneumatic squeezers, but I’m happy with my set up.

When I first started out (no prior riveting experience), I used both a 2X and 3X rivet gun. I preferred the 2X for -3 rivets because the 3X tended to "get away from me" a lot. The 2X was a lot more gentle if that makes sense. Now, I just reach for whichever one I can find and adjust the pressure. Another thing that has changed in my building is that I used to favor the squeezer whenever possible. Like I'd contort myself and the workpiece purely to avoid having to use the rivet gun. I just felt I made a lot more mistakes with the gun. Now, I use the squeezer a lot less. The gun is just easier/quicker to set up and I'm no longer afraid of it.

Mentor

You can see from responses, tools are personal. Every builder has a preference. You will too. The trick is how do you learn, what you don't know? Find a mentor. EAA Chapter is a good place to start. Attend one and ask about mentors. Build the toolbox together. Drill it apart. Reassemble. You will have a very good idea of required tools vs nice to have tools.

Local RV’s

I see you are from Little Rock, AR. I know there is a large very active RV community in the Little Rock area. You should have no problem finding projects or flying planes to check out and probably some folks glad to assist.

You will "need" a mechanical squeezer and a rivet gun to build the plane. But, for the tool box practice kit I would advise that you join your local EAA chapter and work with a builder and use or borrow their tools. You could easily spend hundreds of dollars on tools to build a $40 tool box.

Back