What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Drill Index Chart

Rick6a

Well Known Member
img153editedcj9.jpg

Quick now....off the top of your head....what size would you ream a hole to accept a #6 screw? What is the diameter difference between a #40 and a #41 drill bit, a 1/8" and a #30 drill?, a 3/16" or a #12 drill bit? To what undersize size dimension would you predrill a bolt hole prior to final reaming it to accept an AN4? What size is larger....19/64" or an "N" drill? Could you use a type "V" drill instead of a 3/8" drill bit? Some close tolerance 3/16" interference fit fasteners are inserted into .1850 holes....what reamer size would you reach for? What size drill bit equates to .1850? To be sure, you may not be installing very many precision fasteners into an RV airframe, (I did) but such information is still nice to know or at least have available at your fingertips.

Every home shop should have some version of a drill index chart available for quick and ready reference. In the production shop I came from, such charts seemed to be hanging everywhere. So dependent am I on the chart's usefulness, I must have at least 6 displayed including my basement shop, garage, hangar, and even taped inside tool boxes. The knowledge is free. Take advantage of the drill index chart's unending usefulness and build even higher quality into your dream project.

Drill Index Chart

That's a good one. I've taken the one from the back of the Avery Catalog and laminated it. It's also very good, and includes metric sizes, which can be very convenient if you live in a place that has not yet upgraded to the SAE/British/Imperial measurement units. :)

and the Little Black Book.....

....which, of course, is out in my toolbox at the airport, but is absolutely indespensible for all those quick little shop facts. Dang....what's it called? I have worn out a couple of them over my lifetime..."Standard Aircraft Mechanic's Handbook?"

Paul

I've got one in the shop that is poster size as well as a mouse pad with a Drill Index on it. Can't get along with out them!!

Les Dial
Staff Manufacturing Engineer, F-22A
Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Company

I have several almost just like that that came with orders from the Yard (yardstore.com).

So where is the info about #6 screws and the correct hole size? Is there a guide somewhere that give sizes for different screws?

Thomas

On the drill gage

TShort said:
So where is the info about #6 screws and the correct hole size? Is there a guide somewhere that give sizes for different screws?

Thomas

Thomas... it is actually engraved in the General Drill gage pictured above...

6-32 #36 tap, #28 body drill

It's not a complete guide to screw tapping and drilling, but it does 95+% of what we usually need to know for an RV.... :)

gil in Tucson

The 11x14 insert in Cleaveland's catalog does all this plus has edge distance and rivet pitch info, cleco size charts, sizes of the drills to use when tapping a hole, etc. It looks great, is easy to read and, more importantly, it's free. It's been on the wall of my garage my whole project. As Rick said... definitely a necessity and it's amazing how much I've learned from it.

Last edited:
That's funny, I was just lementing the fact that I can never remember what size drill to use for #8 or #6 screws/bolts. I will have to print/make one of those doohickey's.

But how come I can't find a recommended hole size for bolts and screws in the AC 43.13?

img153editedcj9.jpg

Quick now....off the top of your head....what size would you ream a hole to accept a #6 screw? What is the diameter difference between a #40 and a #41 drill bit, a 1/8" and a #30 drill?, a 3/16" or a #12 drill bit? To what undersize size dimension would you predrill a bolt hole prior to final reaming it to accept an AN4? What size is larger....19/64" or an "N" drill? Could you use a type "V" drill instead of a 3/8" drill bit? Some close tolerance 3/16" interference fit fasteners are inserted into .1850 holes....what reamer size would you reach for? What size drill bit equates to .1850? To be sure, you may not be installing very many precision fasteners into an RV airframe, (I did) but such information is still nice to know or at least have available at your fingertips.

Every home shop should have some version of a drill index chart available for quick and ready reference. In the production shop I came from, such charts seemed to be hanging everywhere. So dependent am I on the chart's usefulness, I must have at least 6 displayed including my basement shop, garage, hangar, and even taped inside tool boxes. The knowledge is free. Take advantage of the drill index chart's unending usefulness and build even higher quality into your dream project.

Hi.

I am working on my training project currently, soon to start 7A. This chart that you provided, will this tell me what drill size to use for a specifid rivet size provided by VANs instructions? In my training project, Vans specify for example rivet size AN426AD3-3. I know this is a 3/32" diameter. so How do i know the drill size? #30 or #40 etc...

Hi.

I am working on my training project currently, soon to start 7A. This chart that you provided, will this tell me what drill size to use for a specifid rivet size provided by VANs instructions? In my training project, Vans specify for example rivet size AN426AD3-3. I know this is a 3/32" diameter. so How do i know the drill size? #30 or #40 etc...
As a technical counselor, I always try to acquaint the builder to the many benefits of referring to a drill index chart. Just yesterday, a builder stopped by my hangar to borrow a reamer and asked what size drill bit he should use to first prepare the hole with prior to making the final full size pass with my borrowed reamer. I encouraged him to tape a drill index chart on a wall somewhere in his shop and refer to it often.

To answer your specific question, a #40 drill (or #41) drill bit is standard for preparing a hole to accept an AD3 rivet. But really, your question is just scratching the surface. You are going to run into many situations in which you need to figure out what size drill bit is appropriate for the hole diameter required of any given fastener. You can quickly determine that important information using two tools. One is a drill index chart. The second tool is a micrometer or dial calipers. The two tools go hand in hand. If you seek optimum hole quality as routinely expected in aircraft production facilities, use em.

2rhbfj9.jpg

Last edited:
You can even skip...

As a technical counselor, I always try to acquaint the builder to the many benefits of referring to a drill index chart. Just yesterday, a builder stopped by my hangar to borrow a reamer and asked what size drill bit he should prepare the hole with. I encouraged him to tape a drill index chart on a wall in his shop and refer to it often.

A #40 drill (or #41) drill bit is standard for preparing a hole to accept an AD3 rivet. But your question is just scratching the surface. You are going to run into many situations in which you must figure out what the hole diameter for a given fastener will be. You can quickly determine that with two tools. One is a drill index chart. The other is a micrometer or dial calipers. The two tools go hand in hand. If you seek optimum hole quality, use em.

...the micrometer if you buy one of these. Made by General tools and in most good hardware stores -

http://www.generaltools.com/Products/Drill-Gage-(No-1-to-No-60)__15.aspx

15L.jpg

If you want to know what drill to use for your rivet/screw, just poke the rivet/screw through the holes in the gauge...:)

It also helps you check that the drill you just picked up for the #8 screw clearance hole is really a #19 and not the #21 you bought to drill stock for a 10-32 tapped hole...:rolleyes:

It also helps you skip the tap drill chart previously mentioned since it is engraved right on the face of the gauge.

PS The micrometer is still good to have, but the "hole gauge" is probably easier for drill bits, even if it is a bit lower-tech than the 6 digit precision of Rick's micrometer.

In this case, simpler is better....:)

Last edited:
....which, of course, is out in my toolbox at the airport, but is absolutely indespensible for all those quick little shop facts. Dang....what's it called? I have worn out a couple of them over my lifetime..."Standard Aircraft Mechanic's Handbook?"

Paul

This book? :)

mechbook.jpg

#6 bolt/screw = #27 drill
#8 bolt/screw = #18 dril
AN3 bolt = #10 drill or reamer

3/32 rivet = #40 drill
1/8" rivet = #30 drill

#6 bolt/screw = #27 drill
#8 bolt/screw = #18 dril
AN3 bolt = #10 drill or reamer

3/32 rivet = #40 drill
1/8" rivet = #30 drill

Thanks.
I need to match drill a hole for an AN4 bolt. I believe that is a 1/4 hole. Would I drill 7/32, then ream to 1/4?

Reamer

Thanks.
I need to match drill a hole for an AN4 bolt. I believe that is a 1/4 hole. Would I drill 7/32, then ream to 1/4?

Try it on scrap.
I prefer to drill with bits in steps up to about .010-.015 smaller than the reamer.
I use a smaller hole for some of the others.
AN3=#12
#8=19

NO!

Those give holes that are too big.

#6 screw needs a #29 drill hole, which is the nominal size for #6 screws, which are .136 diameter

#8 screw needs a #19 drill hole, which is the closest to the .164 diameter.

AN3 bolts and screws are often slightly under 3/16" diameter, but you can't count on it. Their diameter tolerance is .186 to .189. I've found that a 3/16" reamer is best for these.

A hole that's too large can lead to hole or fastener wear, even if it does make assembly easier.

The bits for the -3 and -4 rivets are correct, #40 and #30 respectively. Note that the Mil-Spec on Van's site specifies these bits, and also that these aren't 3/32 and 1/8 inch diameter but are sized for these particular number bits. Measure them and see for yourself.

Dave

Dave

Those give holes that are too big.

#6 screw needs a #29 drill hole, which is the nominal size for #6 screws, which are .136 diameter

#8 screw needs a #19 drill hole, which is the closest to the .164 diameter.

AN3 bolts and screws are often slightly under 3/16" diameter, but you can't count on it. Their diameter tolerance is .186 to .189. I've found that a 3/16" reamer is best for these.

A hole that's too large can lead to hole or fastener wear, even if it does make assembly easier.

The bits for the -3 and -4 rivets are correct, #40 and #30 respectively. Note that the Mil-Spec on Van's site specifies these bits, and also that these aren't 3/32 and 1/8 inch diameter but are sized for these particular number bits. Measure them and see for yourself.

Dave

Dave

The numbers I took are out of the Van's instructions. If those are wrong, there's a lot of planes out there built per plans with incorrect hole sizes.

Back