What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New steering link geometry

scsmith

Well Known Member
Some of you will have seen the thread that I started several years ago after a surprise groundloop occurred in a strong starboard cross wind when the steering link unexpectedly and suddenly released.

That thread stimulated a lot of good discussion on several related topics, one of which is the asymmetry of a "rocket link" steering link in the release points when steering left and right. The asymmetry is caused by the angle at the rudder horn from the rudder hinge axis to the attach point for the steering link being a different angle than the angle at the steering arm from the tail wheel pivot axis to the attach point for the steering link.

After some discussion with Darwin Barrie at JD Airparts, he arranged to make a modified steering arm. I spent a little while doing some trig and analytic geometry to come up with a length and sweep angle of the steering arm that would produce a symmetrical release action to the left and right, and have both directions cause release of the tail wheel lock just at the extreme deflection of the rudder. Darwin sent me the the new steering arm and a longer steering link to test out. Here are some pictures of the installation.

I have not been able to fly this installation yet because of weather, ongoing condition inspection, and some other activities. But I will report back here as soon as I can fly with it. I can tell you that on the ground, if you pull the rudder all the way to the stop, and put pressure on the tail wheel in the direction it would feel if steering, it does NOT release. Same left and right. If you put the rudder all the way to the stop and put pressure on the tail wheel in the direction to make it swivel intentionally, it does release. Same left and right.

img_1055.jpg

img_1059.jpg

You can also see that I substitute a normal rod end with an AN3 bolt and AN970 washer, plus some of the rod end spacer washers that Vans sells, in place of the integral rod end + stud that is supplied. This insures that the rod end stays captive in the very unlikely event that the bearing fails.

So I am pretty optimistic that this will be a nice improvement to the steering link system for those that like it. The steering link system is quicker steering than chains or cables with springs and a little slack, and arguably not as rugged as cables with springs. So there is still room for personal preference here. But for those of us that like the quick, positive steering feel, this new steering arm should give you symmetrical behavior.

I make my own steering links out of titanium components. It achieves the same result, which is for the rudder to go to either stop without unlocking the tailwheel. It takes a tap of the brake to get the tailwheel to swivel. Simply a function of spring rate and travel. No change in arm geometry required.

soIjSzbDQ6-L9VOhTew1Gc9B-4SKf5TbrpaJAbuYDDKiIwBybVxgnK4i1qGx5ssKr6oysgrOZxIbDM4suK8iUsATRvKnp72W-N4MJTJmspJ_kuvomFCw_8-IMczkd8Hhq0JF4b52e7_dndYO_kYbL0g2oadr6KROjaYYlKKKFsynDVt6idQffrEtV3vt2pwyvHks6GTFHGIZc34ZG7HL8mG4-zzrnW76ehL1QJhfVuX2yeHrpUp_Bb34tiDZ0RQCdpeWNnUOuFz2pUxDJsHUG3qTJDEXBjv03haNCgwEuC5sLo45uP4nZ6RcynZlRIQkFZ4puWkbMgYN3frNZ6IMpBn7KLQ6ncneMg8i9lS9FgY-4UsTgIoZ9Vq52urxw5Ca34GZjkcXVFtnEhQUbvzswsULgFLYvdo-H5wvJbiYTc4Cc9e0gpbW-BuQ71GKrbqBGa3hDAfcN8kyCyqK6mslixURJVdiDKPLXAc7FFOLaCx9YGg-RPCwzlW9AjPwmwGI7w4TTYjkR3ENrnyr8YKnFsKk4NEoda_GmUGZ7Y9Boc_V0Q13-M2o9TxExFbHoGFJd-fgdBYz1JIo24rEcoZbdhl6aJayrgPB48iJJQ4p5iAYMOmhdKz14T5I_a9ICvBfsuUz42jjVzwqh7wJQtOzvc4cV5bOTnGp=w400

Bob, if you check carefully, you will see that you have a different tail wheel deflection for the same rudder deflection left and right. It is 5 degrees or more different from left to right. So you can't get the same release behavior left and right with an unswept steering arm.

Very pretty work though!

That is correct, the travel is not equal. Its hardly noticeable when swiveling, in fact I've never noticed it. The important thing is it wont break the tailwheel loose going down the runway, in either direction.

That is good looking. A little less drag and maybe easier to install a fairing too.
Does it have the same ground clearance as the Bell fork?

Also wondering about the attach hole alignment. Mine have been reamed for taper pins. So as long as the holes line up, I can ream the holes to match.

Back