What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tosten Stick Grip Problem

bob888

Well Known Member
I have the Tosten CS8 grips and they contact the instrument panel in the full nose down stick position. I noted that some others cut off some of the bottom end of the stick (where it is basically horizontal); I tried this and gradually worked up to removal of 1.5 inches of tubing but still not clearing the panel (and now will have to buy a new stick). The elevator stop is within specs at -24 degrees. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? The main difficulty seems to be that these particular grips angle forward quite a bit. By the way, I already cut the top of the stick down as much as possible. My only idea at this point is to shop for a different style of grip and potentially have to a bunch of rewiring.

Fill the stick with sand, put it in a press and bend it a bit more. I was able to jury rig a jack in lieu of a real press.

I cut the stick until the Tosten grip cleared the bottom of the panel. No problem. Works fine. Not sure I understand why this is a problem
I did replace the rear Tosten with a Ray Allen grip because of the forward cant of the Tosten

I would not bend the stick. It can interfere with the seat pedestal and also if the pilot has short legs like me and sits all the way forward, you will hit your chest trying to get full aft movement of the stick which is not good trying to flare on landing. I trimmed as much as I could off the top of the stick and the bottom of the Tosten grip insert so it sat flush with the top curve of the stick. All that and a little adjustment gave me full movement of the elevator required by Vans. I never got anywhere even close to the panel when actually flying, even when putting it in to a steep dive testing for emergency descents.

For the RV14, Tosten and Van came up with a replacement design that is pre-bent to a more desirable angle. The upper tip of the stick only comes in contact with the custom flap switch that Stein put in our panel. Since this is only when the stick is fully forward and to the right, it is of no concern as we would be in a full nose down spin that I never want to be in anyway.

So does the RV-14 redesigned stick fit the RV-10 and address this problem?

I'm not at the grip install stage with my RV-10 yet, but have read enough posts on this issue that I am somewhat concerned.

Thanks
Dave Macdonald
RV-10 Finishing Kit in-progress

I got my grips from Clive at Composites International in New Zealand.
http://www.compositesinternational.co.nz/gallery/

Clears the panel in the RV-10 without bending the stick.
This grip is ambidextrous and unlike some others it doesn't have any buttons under your hand when you grab it and it's comfortable to hold with either hand.
Uses a solid 4 way hat switch from Otto controls (purchased separately), 2 top switches and a PTT trigger switch.
Clive is awesome to deal with. He's a member of this forum too.

Lenny

I called Tosten and Kevin suggested that his military style grips might be a better fit for the -10. I would be interested to hear from anyone with these grips in a -10. I also wonder if the control stick for the -14 will work better in this situation. Might call Van's after the holiday.

It's not hard to bend the stick the small amount needed to clear the panel. And I'm 5'6", sit one notch back from full forward, and have no problem pulling full aft stick.

You do not need 24 degrees of down elevator. I think 20 is minimum.
You can add an elevator stop for the down. You might also try adjusting the pushrods to get a better geometry. Many people have used the Tosten sticks.

I am using the Tosten Grips and they will work just fine. As Geoff has posted, you need to limit the travel of the elevator using a stop. This has been discussed in several other threads. I believe there are also some posted photos. Also, you may need to adjust the pushrods slightly to re-center the fore and aft center point of the stick.
Here is my Kitlog entry on the assembly....

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...s&project=2107&category=7708&log=153618&row=3

Last edited:
Just a datapoint

This is just another data point for other new builders. I am 6'2", 225 pounds (trying to get down to 200 pounds for the first flight).

I put Tosten CS-8 grips in my RV-8. I removed enough of the stick to clear the bar under the panel by about 3/4" and the panel by 1/2", and there is no bend in the stick.

Now that my seats (Classic Aero) are in, I could test the full ergonomics of the setup, I learned and confirmed the following:

1) The front grip is in the perfect location for me, and I wouldn't change it even if the effort was zero.
2) The front armrests are just out of range of being useable. This is not really a surprise, as I put padded rests on them mostly to prevent anyone from stepping on them.
3) The rudder pedals have more than enough range, and I wont be in the full front position of the in-flight adjustable pedals.
4) The location of all switches and knobs are great for me.

Now my plugs for advertisers:
  • I still think the Tosten CS-8 Grips are the cadillac of all the grips out there.
  • The Classic Aero seats (Aviatior 2) are as sweet as anyone could hope for.

2la8084.jpg

fwkvaa.jpg

If you are right-handed, you may want to twist the grip a few degrees CCW to get a more comfortable grip on it. Otherwise your wrist will be cocked and it will be uncomfortable after awhile.

2la8084.jpg

Trying not to hijack this thread, but:

I was accused of having a "death grip" when I was doing a BFR in a glider years ago. Since then, I have tended to fly with the tips of three fingers to feel what the air was doing around me more. Consequently, it doesn't seem to matter to me if the grip is turned or not. But I'm curious, not having flown a tail dragger yet, do they require a firmer grip?

Back