What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Mech: NoVA/MD?

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
I'm standing on the edge of doing the first of several maintenance and upgrade tasks on my RV, myself, and, I've sought some assistance here and there to keep me on the straight and narrow and from doing something stupid out of ignorance.

Cautiously, there go I, wide-eyed and eager, and cognizant of my own inexperience.

I got a good piece of advice a while back - don't let a mech who didn't know RVs touch your airplane. That got me thinking....are there some shops around here who *do* know the RV pretty well? So that if I got into a bind and needed some professional help, I could pay for some authoritative guidance?

Example, a local mech I know is going to supervise me this week on an oil change. Sounds trivial right?

It is, Unless you've never done it before. And I'm going to happily pay a shop a rate to learn something here.

So he's going to coach me through it, teach me the right way to safety-wire things, give me some tips along the way and help me ID the oil leak. He's not an RV-guy, but he's a very knowledgeable and reputable engine guy. This is well within his skillset and I trust him. Win-win.

It's when I need something that is more....RV centric....that I'm seeking a referral....

What say you, good ship VAF?

If he’s a good A&P I wouldn’t be afraid to use his guidance for a lot of what you might consider doing. However when it comes time for your annual condition inspection I would seek assistance from an experienced RV technician or technical counselor - at least for the first few with your favorite A&P.

Good A&Ps usually welcome someone who can provide insight into a particular aircraft type. There are also a number of RV specific inspection checklists on this sight that can help both of you accomplish your annual inspection. But remember, for the first few get someone with RV experience to assist. There’s nothing like doing an “owner assist” inspection to teach you about your aircraft.

There is nothing unusual about an RV from a mechanical perspective. Any A&P would be perfectly capable of working on one.

Where the rub comes, IMHO, is the difference between the certified world and the experimental world.
Most A&Ps will be used to using only certified parts and following certified standards for repairs. Now it's not a bad idea to follow these practices but we in the EAB community are not bound by them. The A&P might have a hard time getting their head around this.

For instance, when I was doing research before starting my build, I ask VANs about the use of pull rivets in some application. I was appalled that this was approved (not anymore ;))

The issue, it seem to me is a matter of education. The A&P may find it hard to understand some of our common practices are perfectly sound and consequentially insist on expensive repairs or changes that we know are not needed. Hence the reluctance to let an A&P get involved with ones pride and joy.

Last edited:
Give me a shout

Hello Bill,
I have helped a couple guys out in your region in a similar way as your inquiring. I'm a 40 year APIA , RV-4 builder and would love to chat about your endeavors. Send me a PM with contact info and I'd be glad to chat. VAF is a world of knowledge like no other support group in the world.

RV Mechanic

Hi Bill. I bought a used RV-9A a few years ago, and I'm based at W96 near Richmond. When my mechanical needs go beyond my mechanical abilities (which is sadly typical), and for annual condition inspections, I go to John Sanders at Sanders Aviation in NC (used to be in Elizabeth City KECG, has now moved to an upgraded facility at Edenton NC KEDE).

https://www.jhsandersaviationservicesllc.com/

Not that far from you and likely worth the trip. He works on all sorts of interesting airplanes, including a number of RVs.

AC/DC Flying Svc Dave Cramer in Fredericksburg, VA (EZF)

Dave is a renownd Old School Embry Riddle Maintenance graduate. He can fix anything that's ever flown. By and Far the smartest A&P I/A I've ever met, known, or even heard of - past - present - or future.

It's trivial, but I did my first oil change yesterday with a little guidance from my local mech who showed me a few things about my engine along the way and gave me some good advice about things to watch for and techniques to keep from making a mess. Which I managed to make anyway. :)

I managed to safety wire the new filter without drawing blood.

I'm also going to have to develop a new technique for putting the lower cowl back on without destroying or scratching anything up.

Didn't quite identify the leak yet, but have determined it's not the hard line to/from the prop governor. Suspect it may be one of the oil lines between the case and oil cooler but not sure yet.

Back