What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pmag to Electric Tac Compatibility?

Grezdlitn

Friend
I could use some advise. I converted from an (sick) slick mag to a pmag.
I was using the p-lead to generate the input for the UMA Electric Tac. I'm skeptical if the pmag tac lead generates a signal that is compatible with the UMA. Anybody have any experience with this?
Thanks,
Mark

You will have to read the manuals for both the P-mag and the UMA Electric Tac. The PPR can be changed on the P-mag with the free program provided by E-mag.

The default PPR for the P-mag is 2, IRRC.

One more time!

I thought I'd run this up the flagpole one more time. I have now installed the pmag andd wired it exactly as the manual suggests. My UMA tach has three wires, ground, power and signal input wire. I wired the pin 6(tach output of the pmag direct to the signal wire.
The engine starts and runs to perfection!
Here is my conundrum!
The tach only displays rpm when the mag switch (p lead is grounded) otherwise it displays nothing. I have read both manuals but neither suggest a resolution. Anybody have any ideas?

Tach wiring for Pmag

Hi Mark,

Love your airplane!

The pmag manual seems to indicate that running a wire from the ground to your tach is wise. Here's the diagram:

And some text:

6? is a courtesy (optional) connection to provide a digital tack signal ? two pulses per revolution (reconfigurable to 1ppr using EICAD). The default tach voltage is 12 volts, although some ignitions were produced with a 5 volt signal. See notes on the Wiring Diagram at the end of this manual for switching tach voltage signal, if needed. Adding a ground wire (pin #1 to the EFIS or tach instrument) will help assure a clean signal.

Hope this helps!

Bill and Mickey,
Thanks for the replies! My next steps will be to add the extra ground, then try the diode. If this doesn't produce results I will build a harness to run the monitoring program provided by Emagair and experiment with the values.

I'm just trying to get a little more life out of this configuration without spending any money. Come this fall I'm Planning a major panel overhaul and all the old stuff will become boat anchors!
Thanks again,
Mark

PMag and Vm1000

I don't have your set-up, but I just installed dual PMags in my RV6a, and I have a Vision Microsystems VM1000 engine monitor (the original version). It required a 5 volt signal, and two pulses per revolution. I used the diode in the PMag installation to change the tach output from 12 volts to 5 volts, and the EMagair EICAD software allows you to change the pulse from 1 per revolution to 2 per revolution. Actually, I did not need to do that because I had previously changed the VM1000 to accept 1 pulse per revolution (I had a Lasar system with the same output).

Hope this helps in some way.

Back