What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 10 Gas Springs

Jesse23

Well Known Member
I know there is a lot of history on this and Vans does sell a HD gas spring $131 (530 N).

The ideal gas spring HD replacement, seems to be the Stabilus Lift-O-Mat 2218LP 0600N, which appears unavailable in the US anymore or has been replaced. UK has it, but will not ship outside the EU. Searching the US yields no results for that PN.

ref:
US
https://www.gasspringsshop.com/

UK
https://www.gasspringsshop.co.uk/product/replacement-for-stabilus-lift-o-mat-2218lp-600n/

The Bansbach spring mentioned in the forum is a bit short for 6' 4" guys like myself in the open position for getting in.

Bansbach - A1A1F50-100-287/600N 287 MM = 11.29 - Center/center Open dimension

My center/center open dimension with Vans stock springs is 11 13/16. I think Vans has you make a gage or one was in the kit (can't remember) I checked the gage closed hole spacing is @7 13/16 for the 4" travel.

The open Stabilus is 299 MM = 11.772, which is perfect and at 600 N, plenty strong enough. @ $45/ea in the UK.

Any thoughts on where to procure the Stabilus gas spring or similar?

Are you building or replacing? If building just move the bracket up a little on the door to get the height you need. I used the Bansbach. I was not careful on placing the brackets in the same place. The doors opened to different heights. I was able to put a washer on both ends on one side and they open equally now. My neighbor bought some different ends for the Bansbach and got more height.

Works like a champ and has not lost it’s length or strength in 2 years. You have to look thru the site, but you you want the 600 N and length shown. I ordered screwed on ends that had to be milled to fit between the bracket. I’ll try to find the order for reference.

Follow up

I just ordered per the screenshot from the .ca version of gassspringshop.com The current ones fit without modification.

Derek

Back