What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

auto alternator position

amaris

Well Known Member
After reading up and hearing many write about the reliability of auto alternators and how easy they just dropped right in, I decided to go that route. Unfortunately, mine doesn't just drop right in. It sits forward maybe 1/4"-1/2" which makes the belt angled. I'm using the B&C mount and a 14684N alternator on the Lyc IO-360-M1B
Anyone else run into this or solve it simply?

I just changed my alternator had same problem. The previous owner had change it before me to the auto alternator same type as you describe. He had used washers to space the alternator to the correct position. I have some pictures of the install but I don’t know how to post on this site. If you will PM me your email I will send them to you.

Why don't you just make your own bracket? I made one to support the '87 Honda Civic alternator I have. You can either make one with a band saw and file or Bridgeport mill or draw it in SolidWorks which you can get for free if you're an EAA member, and then email the file to a contract machine shop. Tons out there these days. While you're at it, make it longer to the rear to pick up another threaded hole in the crankcase.

Attachments

• alt brkt.jpg
    alt brkt.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 180
Thanks, but I was hoping to find something pre-fabed so I don't add another project to what feels like a growing list of things to do. I bought the B&C bracket but this combo is just throwing things a bit off.
Nice work on your bracket, looks great!

Back