What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Apollo Gx60

mikebrad

I have acquired a gx60 to install in my RV6, I am looking to update the gx60 data card. Does anyone have a data card programmer that they could update my Datacard with or like to sell?

Jeppesen Skybound for GX60 PCMCIA datacards

Jeppesen has made several different Skybound programmers over the years. I purchased one used from VAF years ago that works with the old PCMCIA cards. A large number of years back, the database became too large for the cards that shipped with the GX60 and a new 4-Mb card was required. The cheap way to buy the 4-Mb PCMCIA data card was off the internet. I picked up about a dozen cards. I no longer have a Jeppesen subscription for my GX60 as the need (and desire) for IFR flying is not there. I do have a year or two old database on a datacard but just like the programmer, have not got around to unpacking following the move.

I think the GX60 is a great navigator and you will enjoy using it. Mine is around 15-years old. Yes there are better ones available now but the one I have does everything I want, why spend money on an upgrade that I can put into fuel to fly more.

4353931049_c56f38fcd2.jpg

This is the image of what is needed to program the GX60 datacard.

Last edited:
Hi Gary, are you interested in selling your Progamer and data card? Thanks Mike

I actually have TWO (2) of the programmers and 9-cards. I moved in November and need to find both programmers before I will sell one. I know where the nine (9) spare cards are and will part with up to two (2). The 10th card that I have is an OLD 2 MB card that will not work with the new database.

One of the cards has a Yellow Sticky Note on it with 03-31-2016. That is either the expiration date of the database or the start of the cycle.

Questions on the GX60.

1. If anyone still has a skybound writer/reader for the PCMCIA cards I'll gladly purchase it!

2. For the life of me I can't seem to find GPS approaches on my GX60. Is there some sort of lockout if the database isn't current or the unit's software is out of date? I "think" I've gone through every possible menu during some cross countries and for the life of me I can't find the approaches. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Questions on the GX60.

2. For the life of me I can't seem to find GPS approaches on my GX60. Is there some sort of lockout if the database isn't current or the unit's software is out of date? I "think" I've gone through every possible menu during some cross countries and for the life of me I can't find the approaches. Any help is greatly appreciated!

From page 6-22 of the GX60IFRGPS_COMM_UserGuide.pdf

Load Approach (GX50/60)
This option is available for the Active flight plan when a datacard with approach information is inserted into the GX50/60. Press ENTER to show the available approaches for the desired airport. Press SEL while in the NAV or Map function to go directly to this option.

On my GX60 with 2-year old database, I can load an approach 50 NM out for the airport that I am navigating to as long as there is an approach for that airport.

From page 6-22 of the GX60IFRGPS_COMM_UserGuide.pdf

Load Approach (GX50/60)
This option is available for the Active flight plan when a datacard with approach information is inserted into the GX50/60. Press ENTER to show the available approaches for the desired airport. Press SEL while in the NAV or Map function to go directly to this option.

On my GX60 with 2-year old database, I can load an approach 50 NM out for the airport that I am navigating to as long as there is an approach for that airport.

So I tried that and came up with nothing. That is what is causing me so much grief. I have a database that I updated 2 months ago so near current. And I was flying into KCMI which has GPS approaches. Pressing SEL got me nothing. I tried other menus and couldn't find it either. I may call jeppesen to make sure the database that I got included gps approaches. Could that be my problem?

GX updates

Data base updates ARE available the subscription is $450 per year it serves the GX50,55,60,65 If your looking for a 1 time update contact me and I can help.

IF you have never used this GPS for approaches before it may not be setup for them. I have 2 apollos a 50 and a 60 that I installed myself so I have had to learn a lot of the setup. If I can help let me know

Back