What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jesse Saint Builder Assist

RickSolana

I have just finished an incredible experience building my RV-10 airframe through Jesse Saint's builder assist program. It was extremely educational, the build was of the highest quality, and the speed was incredible.
Educational: Jesse is a font of knowledge, and his staff are all very talented and dedicated at what they do. During the two weeks in Ecuador, the knowledge transfer happened not only during the day in the shop, but also outside of the shop from constant airplane conversations with Jesse and Galo.
Quality: I had built an RV-6a 20 years ago, so I like to think I know what to look for and am fairly particular. It became quickly evident that the quality of workmanship was first rate all around. And the attitude in the shop is about doing things right.
Speed: 2 weeks of my time in Ecuador! Plenty of time planning before and after. Also, the team gets the airframe up to a quick build status before you arrive. They also take care of most of the deburring and dimpling. Going forward, I have chosen to install the panel and wire the plane with Jesse in his shop in Florida. When the plane arrives there it will already have been painted with my paint scheme. After that, I will bring the airframe to my home airport and install the engine and interior myself. Should be flying before the year is out.
It was a really enjoyable time. The atmosphere in the shop made you feel right at home. Room and board is with Galo's family, a wonderful experience in itself. I customized a lot of the design with learnings from Van's Air Force and parts from many well known third party vendors, making these decisions with excellent guidance from Jesse and Galo.
I couldn't have made a better decision than to build this RV-10 with Jesse's program.

It was great having you go through our program, Rick. I look forward to working with you on the panel design and installation too.

And Jesse does Great Panel as well; I know...

because he recently upgraded my RV-7 Panel to IFR glass at his shop in Florida. And Rick, I couldn't agree more when you say Jesse is a font of knowledge, and every member of his team are talented and dedicated professionals.

I'm a old, old Rusty Pilot and acknowledged techno-idiot who never flew behind a glass panel and could not comprehension all the on-line techno- babble from reading all the adds and posts. Each avionics shop call contacted about upgrading my panel simply blew me off; then I called Jesse and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! We talked for about 20-30 minutes. I asked him towards the end of that first call what I needed to do to get the process started and he answer, "you already have" - AND HE MEANT IT. Jesse asked questions and listened to my answers. He helped me to understand the technology, worked with me to define my needs, provided me with several options, and then help me with my selections. And when everything was ready, I delivered the my plane into Jesse's hands.

What a received back is everything I hoped for and much more. I'll post some pics of the new panel when I figure how (I told you I'm a techno-idiot).

Sorry for hijacking Rick's post, but I just wanted to join Rick in his shout out for Jesse and his fantastic team. If I decide on a -10, I'm calling Jesse right away!

Robert
RV7

Here you go, Robert.

Before:
4babc0f474e62413146f4406a1f06408_zpsfuaqha4y.jpg

After:
b7963094da413e369d6854da4895c8bd_zps8ypcfa2r.jpg

Gotta add my kudos to the job Jesse and his crew did at ITEC's facility down in Florida as well...I had a pretty big wish list to upgrade what was a fairly bare-bones Skyview setup that the original builder had installed. Good for VFR, but no way I wanted to fly this thing IFR like this....

The Before:

IMG_20160810_140747.jpg

The After:

IMG_20161120_163416.jpg

IMG_20161120_163539.jpg

Added to the original SV Classic screen was a new SV Touch on the LH side, all the panel-mounted autopilot controls you'd want in a single-pilot IFR situation; Skyview's ADSB box and a SV Comm radio, a Garmin GTN-625 and SL-30 Comm/Nav and GMA-240 audio panel. We were able to re-use the already-installed autopilot servos, obviously. The SL-40 that was removed was taken in on trade, even!

Safety considerations for IFR resulted in adding a second, backup ADAHRS to the SV system as well as a gently used Dynon D6 backup EFIS. Recognizing the importance of a continuous flow of electrons to all of this fine gear, a B&C backup alternator was added to the bill of work to keep the lights on if the primary croaked.

I wasn't happy with the original non-pullable breakers, so out they went and in went the new ones.

Added nice touches included dimmable eyebrow and post lights, as well as a dimmer for the SV's. I had wanted a go-around button next to the throttle, and got just what I wanted.

That pretty much summed up the panel upgrade...which worked amazingly well on the first flight, with just a few bugs and programming tweaks to sort out. Considering the scope of the project, I was impressed with how short the squawk list was...

Additionally, while I had the bird in his shop, Jesse installed BOTH the SuperTracks AND the "Almost a 14" mods that I showed up with! Wow! What great mods, professionally installed, and I was very, very happy with the end results!!

Finally, I was able to have him help me resolve a long running engine stumble, a solution suggested by fellow members of this website. Cleaning out the valve guide to #2 Cylinder has resulted in a smooooth running engine, with no "hiccups" getting the pax upset!

Summing up, all the work was done professionally, with the care and attention to detail needed for a project like this...and the biggie...in a timely fashion. Dropped it off 10/22/16, picked it up 11/17/16.

If you're considering Dynon for your panel...and unsure/unwilling/unable to have your panel be a DIY experience, I highly recommend Jesse and crew!

Well-done, Saint Aviation!

PS-And don't even get me started on the public service Jesse does for the RV community! He had just loaned a guy stuck in the Bahama's with a bent nose gear a replacement to get him home, and while I was there to pick up my bird another RV'er did a precautionary drop-in to resolve a non-charging alternator problem! All handled expeditiously while he's already got a hangar-full of work! Outstanding support for the Van's Community!! Two thumbs up!!

Back