What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

YIO-390-A3B6 in an RV-8

I believe that I need some help here, I have ordered a YIO-390-A3B6 to install in my RV8. Is there anyone out there who has done this that my be able to offer some wisdom? I am getting a little help from Vans, but not too much. I originally ordered the engine with an Airflow performance injection system, will this fit properly in the cowling or is there modifications that will need to be made? Should I have ordered the Avstar?
I am trying to figure out what I need to order for my firewall forward kit at this time. Any help would be very much appreciated.

If you want to use the snorkel, the AirFlow Performance will not work (it hits the bottom of the cowl). I ordered my IO-360-M1B with the AirFlow system as I prefer it. Thunderbolt was nice enough to exchange it with the standard Precision unit after I sent them photos of it hitting the bottom of the cowl. It seems I was not the first RV-8 builder to have the issue.

Assuming you got your 390 from Van’s I’m very surprised Thunderbolt agreed to use the AirFlow system for your engine

If you really want to use the Airflow System you will be doing some significant mods to the cowl and snorkel (much more than if on an RV-14). The other option is to not use the snorkel and add an engine air inlet on the bottom of the cowl, along with a new filter setup. I suggest a better path is to just get the Precision system.

Carl

I have the YIO-390A3B6 on order from Van’s for my RV-8 set to deliver end of April. It will have stock Avstar/precision fuel injection. No mods should be required for the smooth bottom lower cowl with stock snorkel as used for the stock 200hp angle valve engine install. The other differences from the stock 200hp angle valve install include forward mounted prop governor, possibly using firewall mounted 13 row oil cooler and tight baffle to cowl clearance at the #2 cylinder. Still not sure about exhaust differences if any. I plan to order firewall fwd items as I go using Van’s packing lists for the 200hp angle valve firewall forward for the RV-8 and the YIO-390A3B6 firewall forward for the RV-14. Take this for what it is worth. Good luck!

Back