What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 and RV-8 on Ice

Jpm757

Well Known Member
A beautiful Sunday for Flying in the Northeast.
28 degrees, calm wind, clear skies, and perfect ice conditions on the lake.
A couple of RV's decided to fly north to meet the Cub Gang for lunch.
Even got to give a few cub guys their first RV rides.
A few pictures and a takeoff video from a great day of RV'ing

https://youtu.be/L_tUhM8kouA

w1IpzV0.jpg

Lty1vpC.jpg

TvnOJEi.jpg

5D9J376.jpg

UGGnDZD.jpg

SEwQadL.jpg

That looks more like snow than ice? I imagine that snow offers just a little bit more traction than ice?

I am really curious how you learn to do this. It is easy enough to maintain directional control?
Or do you just not worry about it because there is no harm done if you 'ice-loop' and/or do doughnuts anywhere you want?
Is there enough rolling resistance to stop more or less when/where you want?
How do you do a run-up?

Oh, and most important of all, how do you know when the ice is thick enough that you won't break through if you come down a little hard?

Most of us west-coasters just have no clue about this. I do have some back-country flying friends that go up to some of the smaller lakes around Lake Tahoe and do this.

Looks like fun !!

I’ve been flying out of the snow lately to , not enough here to put the J3 on skis yet though , I’m a wee bit concerned that you still have your wheel pants on for winter Opps, I was flying off a snow covered runway A few years ago in my C 150 and the next time I landed at my paved field in a good crosswind my brake disks were frozen solid and the locked up brakes just skidded me off the runway, just missing one of the runway lights ,
Two things i keep in mind now is make sure I let the brakes cool right off after taxiing to the active on snow covered runways ( even if I haven’t used them ) and keep the wheel pants in the hanger in case you do have one freeze because you can’t unlock that tire until you kick it free,
Looks like you had a great visibility for your Rendezvous on the ice!

Raquette Lake what a place! Landed there several times. Been to Tap Room and boat restaurant good entertainment. Thanks for the excursion.

The ice on Sunday was about 8" thick with a 1" covering of frozen granular snow, perfect for wheel operations, temps in mid 20's..The Cub guys were running a mix of straight skis, wheel penetration and retractable skis. They could have easilly landed on wheels, but skis provide more options. Yes you must be conscious of snow packing in the wheel pants, beware of ice fishing holes, buoys and of course snowmobiles. I am running 380X150 tires on my -7, the -8 has standard 500X5 tires. Hopefully the Alton Bay, NH ice runway will open soon, they will not plow until they have 12" of ice. Great place to get an intro into ice flying! Come on up and join the fun.

What airport is this? Can you reply here or PM next time you go? I’m 1.5 flight away (I think) and would love to join you!

I am really curious how you learn to do this. It is easy enough to maintain directional control?
Or do you just not worry about it because there is no harm done if you 'ice-loop' and/or do doughnuts anywhere you want?
Is there enough rolling resistance to stop more or less when/where you want?
How do you do a run-up?

this.

It isn't really something you go somewhere to learn. You just sort of do it. Generally I only land where cars have recently driven. Do a low pass and check for ruts and ice ridges. Watch for wires also. Racetracks are perfect because usually they are smooth and thick enough. Assume you will have zero directional control when you land and fly it all the way until it's stopped. Be prepared to go around at any time, even during rollout, and be wary of crosswinds. Snow has good traction, rough ice is ok to. Smooth ice or light fluffy snow over ice is a challenge. Be prepared to get out and physically turn the plane around. Finally, don't underestimate how rough even smooth ice can be. Like the bush guys, a tail low wheel landing is in order.

RV-7 on ice

I agree with Gary..Winter S.O.P. here in SW Ontario is to remove the wheel pants. Snow can accumulate ( and has) in the rear portion of wheel pants even with just a skim coat of snow on taxi ways and runways. Any brake heat can melt the snow and in the minus C temps we fly in, brakes can freeze and landings become rides of terror especially if one wheel freeze and the other doesn’t.
In my mind, better to lose a few knots of air speed with exposed wheels than damage the plane and possibly yourself and/or your passenger.
Dave
RV-7
C-GCPD

Back