- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Ipad with Stratus ??

It's hard to ask a question about something one doesn't know much about...........but here goes. Is anyone using an Ipad with stratus as the only source for nav and flight instruments? I've just recently became aware of stratus, I don't even know if this would be legal. I'm an old steam guy, buy would love to have a nice EFIS.........but like most, money is a factor, so trying to keep the cost down. Any info that you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brian
Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 AM

I use an iPad and Stratus currently in the old school 182RG I currently fly (while building an RV10). There are cheaper options now out if all you are after is ADSB and weather in. Just recognize that will not get you all traffic. It will get ADSB weather when you are too high to get WIFI service from the cellular system.

It is a great combo for situational awareness. I would not use if as a stand alone system, since I have had a few lost signal episodes that caused momentary pucker. It always comes back, but still...

I have gotten opposing traffic at my altitude a few times now, well before I could spot them. Even knowing they were there.
Dues paid 2020
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 AM

For navigation, yes - in place of paper maps, and in place of my 20+ year old gps.

Save yourself some money and look up Stratux.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:08 AM

Default Check out this Sonerai

I ran across this add for a Sonerai and he had an ipad only setup for front or back. Worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OD95B4pXzo
Old 10-31-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercub View Post
...Is anyone using an Ipad with stratus as the only source for nav and flight instruments? I've just recently became aware of stratus, I don't even know if this would be legal.
I use a Stratus 2 with an ipad and consider it an excellent backup source for attitude information. In fact, I personally think it's worth the cost ONLY for the AHRS... The ADS-B stuff is just a bonus. That said, the speed and altitude is GPS based so not a great choice for a replacement for a pitot static system.

I'd certainly not consider the system as a primary attitude reference, but I'm not going flying anywhere near weather again without it.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 11-01-2017, 12:13 AM

Default merlin

I recently installed the Seattle Avionics Merlin ADSB receiver which I believe is a stratux clone. Seems to provide a lot of capability for $250.

On my iPad mini with FlyQ installed I get traffic, weather, WAAS GPS, AHRS etc

https://www.seattleavionics.com/merlin.aspx

I'm not connected with SA in any way
Old 11-01-2017, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercub View Post
It's hard to ask a question about something one doesn't know much about...........but here goes. Is anyone using an Ipad with stratus as the only source for nav and flight instruments? I've just recently became aware of stratus, I don't even know if this would be legal. I'm an old steam guy, buy would love to have a nice EFIS.........but like most, money is a factor, so trying to keep the cost down. Any info that you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brian
There is an RV-9A at KVVS that is setup with iLevil and iPad as you say. It also has airspeed and altimeter but the iLevil / iPad is setup just like an EFIS and the GRT EMS provides the engine data to the iPad through the iLevil.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:40 AM

Airspeed, altimeter and compass are required equipments. For VFR, nothing else is required except some engine gauges. Not all stratus clones or alternatives have AHRS. Neither does the Stratus 1. Beyond that, for VFR, there is no reason not to use the iPad legally, but practically speaking there are some serious drawbacks, especially if it will be in the sun. They can easily overheat and shut off to cool down.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 AM

Mine also will not boot up below freezing and tells me it is too hot...

Membership renewed Nov 23, 2020
Old 11-01-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RV8 View Post
Mine also will not boot up below freezing and tells me it is too hot...
LOL programmed by someone in warm climate. if it's outside temp range, must be too hot