What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using Van's engine sensor manifold

ctennis

Well Known Member
I just hung my IO-360-M1B and am starting the process of figuring out what goes where. I noted that Vans makes and sells a part in the drawings that is a 3 part firewall mounted manifold for the oil pressure, fuel pressure, etc.

I'm curious if any of you have just mounted these sensors (in my case, the Dynon ones) directly on the engine vs. using this remote mounted manifold. Maybe there's good reason to use the manifold and I'm just not far enough along to know it..perhaps the sensors won't fit on the engine, perhaps its too hot near the engine, etc.

It just seems like it would be more prudent to mount the sensors directly on engine vs. adding additional hoses to run back to a manifold.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks!

The sensors do not last as long when mounted directly on the engine as they are subject to a lot of vibration there. Mount them remotely using restrictor fittings and proper hoses.

Vic

Not recommended.

History has shown that attaching the sensors directly to the engine reduces their life and adds a mechanical failure mode (they break off). These engines are very "energetic", meaning that there are a lot of small displacement high g vibrations that adversely affect (some might say destroy) the sensors. This is the reason for remote mounting them. This also can make them wag about and break off at the stems. This is generally the practice.

However, if you wanted to experiment (validate like an engineer) and instrument some sensors (and/or the engine installation points) in various locations to document that the mechanical vibrations are within the validated operating envelope of the sensor, I am sure you will get a lot of kudos for eliminating the hoses. :D

Although there are exceptions, as a rule it is best practice to not mount fluid sensors directly to the engine. The reasoning is that the mass of the sensor body is enough to cause failure at the threaded connection due to the high vibration environment.

Use a special AN hose fitting with small orifice in order to slow leakage if the fitting fails.

Usage of the Vans manifold is optional. The sensors can be mounted using Adel clamps or other means.

EDIT I obviously type too slow

Back