What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Guy

Hello VAF,

I've been browsing for awhile and thought I should introduce myself. I live in Rhode Island and have been considering building an RV-7.

I had never thought of myself as the type of person who would build a plane; I'm really more of an pilot type than an engineer or mechanic. Thus far, my mechanical expertise has not extended much beyond changing the oil in my car. However, the ability to build a brand new airplane which is customized to the builders exact wants/needs is extremely appealing. I'm excited to have the opportunity to learn an airplane literally rivet by rivet. I'm drawn to the RV because it seems like the best compromise between performance, cost, ease of build, factory support, and an active community. I'm still not convinced it's for me, but it's an option I'll continue to explore. In the mean time if anybody building an RV in RI, southern MA, or Eastern CT could use/tolerate an amateur hand helping with assembly, bucking rivets, etc then please feel free to message me. I would like nothing more than to get my hands dirty and get an idea of what the actual building process is like.

Welcome New Guy!

Mere mortals can do this...so can you! RVs are not #1 in anything...but are #2 in many things! Welcome to VAF :) Rosie

Welcome Steve!

you'll find surfing this site a HUGE help, and check out the RV white pages for a pretty good list of builders and flyers...no doubt a few in your area.

http://www.vansairforce.net/rvwp.htm

as I tell everyone, don't only buck, but get some butt time in a few different RV's, and other planes.
No use building for 7 years and $70,000, and find your spouse hates it, or your legs are too long, or you need to carry 4 people & a dog all the time etc. etc.

you'll find surfing this site a HUGE help, and check out the RV white pages for a pretty good list of builders and flyers...no doubt a few in your area.

http://www.vansairforce.net/rvwp.htm

as I tell everyone, don't only buck, but get some butt time in a few different RV's, and other planes.
No use building for 7 years and $70,000, and find your spouse hates it, or your legs are too long, or you need to carry 4 people & a dog all the time etc. etc.

Good point. I've never actually sat in any RV and it could be a problem. I'm 6'3" 180lbs and mostly legs. I'm planning to attend Oshkosh this year and trying to get an RV ride if I can.

Welcome

Welcome Steve. Good choice.:D
2nd what others comment. Find a local. Sit in and fly RVs. Have some fun. Build the two practice kits. You'll know pretty quick if building is of interest.
Vans prepunched kits are really well designed. You can do it.
IMHO it's fun and a source of pride. Knowing every rivet is driven by your hand is very satisfying.

Welcome to VAF!

Steve,
welcome.gif
aboard the good ship VAF.

YOU CAN DO IT:D

Good point. I've never actually sat in any RV and it could be a problem. I'm 6'3" 180lbs and mostly legs. I'm planning to attend Oshkosh this year and trying to get an RV ride if I can.

Hi, Steve; I'm the same height, also all legs, and although I was around 180 lbs for a long time, I seem to have snuck up to 200 in recent years. Funny how that happens. I had the same concern prior to buying my RV6A. The 7 has the seat pan slightly lower than the 6, allowing a bit more headroom (depending on how you build), but I haven't been able to tell the difference in the 7's I've sat in to be honest. Initially I fit pretty well; legroom was pretty reasonable, although I have always felt more comfortable with light, thin-soled shoes to give me a bit more clearance in the footwell. The only thing I didn't care for was that I felt my back was too vertical, which put a bit of strain on my low back. A couple of years ago I installed the AntiSplat Aero (advertiser on the forum) Almost an RV14 mod, which moves the seat back back a few inches, and this made all the difference in the world; it uncramped the sitting position very effectively (I no longer look and feel like a T-Rex with my folded up forelegs bunched up in front of me) increased headroom and feels like more legroom. I would highly recommend incorporating this mod in your plane if you do choose to build.

In summary, you absolutely can fit comfortably in an RV7, and there are options available while you are building that can optimize your fit. Good luck, and I hope you do choose to join the club!

Build or buy

No use building for 7 years and $70,000, and find your spouse hates it.

I think the figure of $70,000 might be a bit misleading for for the OP.

The most common RV purchase these days is an RV7A QB with an IO360 engine and CS prop. Just the kits plus the engine and prop (with governor) is currently listed by Vans at $73,834 so I'm just guessing that $70k isn't going to get the most popular RV configuration into the air. ;)

In addition to the above there is:

Shipping/transportation
Taxes
Seats/Interior
Painting
Tools
Insurance
Instruments
Avionics
Wiring
Plus absolutely countless sundry purchases that cannot possibly be envisaged by a first time builder (you WERE going to get a Halon extinguisher weren't you?)

If the OP simply wants to fly, rather than build, he might be better off buying an RV. There may be no dollar saving in building over buying. Sure, it might take time and effort to find the right plane to buy at the right price but it sure won't take as much time and effort as building. :D

I sometimes get asked by guys what it takes to build a plane. I always reply that perseverance is the key ingredient. It's definitely not a project for the whimsical personality. And I always advise them that they should only consider building if they are really turned on by the idea of participating in the building process. If they say they just want to fly....I say buy! :)

Last edited:
I am down for my ummm, semi annual?

I call it that because now that I have flown off my phase one and then some, I want to go through it and see how things are holding up.

Anyways, stop by my hangar and sit in my seven. I can give you some free advice, but it is only worth the cost of admission... Bring Harpoon IPA!

Lol

;) CJ

Welcome Steve

Welcome Steve,
Do your research take your time, it's a big decision to build. I just ordered my -8 emp kit yesterday, after 5 yrs of researching, waiting, saving and dreaming.

Good luck!

I think the figure of $70,000 might be a bit misleading for for the OP.

The most common RV purchase these days is an RV7A QB with an IO360 engine and CS prop. Just the kits plus the engine and prop (with governor) is currently listed by Vans at $73,834 so I'm just guessing that $70k isn't going to get the most popular RV configuration into the air. ;)

In addition to the above there is:

Shipping/transportation
Taxes
Seats/Interior
Painting
Tools
Insurance
Instruments
Avionics
Wiring
Plus absolutely countless sundry purchases that cannot possibly be envisaged by a first time builder (you WERE going to get a Halon extinguisher weren't you?)

If the OP simply wants to fly, rather than build, he might be better off buying an RV. There may be no dollar saving in building over buying. Sure, it might take time and effort to find the right plane to buy at the right price but it sure won't take as much time and effort as building. :D

I sometimes get asked by guys what it takes to build a plane. I always reply that perseverance is the key ingredient. It's definitely not a project for the whimsical personality. And I always advise them that they should only consider building if they are really turned on by the idea of participating in the building process. If they say they just want to fly....I say buy! :)

I agree with this post. From what I've seen on the market there is no cost saving to building vs buying. Unfortunately for the builder, it appears that any given RV is only worth the sum of it's parts. So deciding to build or buy is the one of the things I'm still pondering.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

I had never thought of myself as the type of person who would build a plane; I'm really more of an pilot type than an engineer or mechanic.
That's me. My expertise before was owning an Aircoupe and doing owner-assisted annuals, which gave me the courage to attempt a build.

You're wise to question if the RVs are for you and if you could build one. Let's be honest, many are started but not finished. I've come close to quitting and selling everything once or twice. Finally I hired a expert to work with me once a week last year...it made a huge difference. And that's after taking Synergy Air's empennage building class and buying QB fuse and wings.

I will never be a "repeat offender". Eight years ago I made the correct decision at the time to start the build, but now, it would make a lot more sense for me to buy a used, flying RV. I've missed 8+ years of RV flying that I would have had otherwise.

I admire and greatly respect the many builders who can complete a beautiful machine in 3 years while working two jobs and coaching their kids' soccer team...I'm not one of those. Know Thyself.

Keep inquiring of others and yourself whether the RV is right, and whether you should build or buy. PM if you want to talk about the decision.

Come for a ride

Steve,

If you want I'll come pick you up and we can go for a ride in my 6. Close enough to the 7. Where are you in RI. Close to what airport? I'm on Long Island. It's a short hop up to RI. I used to do it for cheap fuel.

Richard

it's Rhode Island

Steve,

If you want I'll come pick you up and we can go for a ride in my 6. Close enough to the 7. Where are you in RI. Close to what airport? I'm on Long Island. It's a short hop up to RI. I used to do it for cheap fuel.

Richard

It's Rhode Island. No place in-state is far from any in-state airport! Ha.

Bob (ex-pat from Cranston, RI).

Back