What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

We are force to be reckoned with!

N941WR

Legacy Member
I just looked at Mother Ship's website and realized there are almost 9,000 completions. We are in good company.

www.vansaircraft.com said:
As of February 04, 2015 8,942 RV aircraft have been completed and flown!

Listed by Model

RV-3_______281
RV-4______1372
RV-6/6A___2541
RV-7/7A___1405
RV-8/8A___1281
RV-9/9A____952
RV-10______745
RV-12______364
RV-14/14A____1

Last edited:
I note the -6's comprise 28% of all RV's flown. Interesting. And, why have there been no -14's built/flown? Is there an issue?

Jerry

It'd be fun to see the sales breakdown of kits sold in, say, the last year or so to see how that's trending versus finished flying aircraft. Of course the RV-12 and -14 are hot as newer designs, but I'm curious about the rest of the fleet. RVBuilder?

I believe the fuse kit was just recently completed on the -14, so no doubt folks are furiously pounding rivets, but it'll take a while for completion.

I note the -6's comprise 28% of all RV's flown. Interesting. And, why have there been no -14's built/flown? Is there an issue?

Jerry

Not all of the -14 subkits are available yet - I think the finish kit is still not released....therefore, none are finished!

If the FAA would allow completely pro-built kits, like with the LS RV-12, these numbers would be substantially higher. Amazing to think nearly 9000 builders have carried their project all the way to completion, one at a time.

Id like to compare this to the number of kits sold so we can see the "give up" or "in progress" ratios

If the FAA would allow completely pro-built kits, like with the LS RV-12, these numbers would be substantially higher. Amazing to think nearly 9000 builders have carried their project all the way to completion, one at a time.

If EAA's abandonment statistics are relevant to RV's, a great number of the ~9K are likely second or third owners.

Hard to compare EAA stats for all types of "home build" planes ... When you look at 'build from basic material kit ... to a .. pre-punched latest generation RV-14 ... which you "assemble" ... ;-) ..

Interesting, there are more RV-4's flying than RV-8's.

It attests to the deep popularity of RV's, all types.

Any RV is a mighty fine airplane to fly, not to mention the satisfaction some get from building one or more.

It is a good feeling to be a part of this family of aviators, no matter what RV they are flying. From Van's factory to the flight line, this effort is loaded with good people.

If you combine this with GAMA stats it means that RV's account for about 39% of the experimental fleet and about 6% of the entire single engine piston fleet. Pretty impressive.

Tim

If EAA's abandonment statistics are relevant to RV's, a great number of the ~9K are likely second or third owners.
Yes but the original owner still built each one, one at a time. A second owner wouldn't report their first-flight back to Vans. And given that not all original builders will report their first-flight to Vans, the actual number of RVs flying might well be 10,000+. Remarkable. The very large majority probably built by just one person (few repeat offenders). So 10,000+ flying aircraft built by new builders...every one had to learn somehow to build a flying machine. In this day of easy entertainment and gratification I find that self-effort laudable.

Back